Whose bright idea was that? Doctors are stunned when a man in Colombia enters the hospital with a lightbulb stuck in his anus
A man in Colombia left doctors dumbfounded after they found a lightbulb in his butt.
The patient, 53, who has not been named, went to a local hospital this year complaining of pain in his anus.
Doctors saw nothing during a physical examination, but were shocked when an X-ray revealed a large bulb wedged inside him.
A 53-year-old man in Colombia was taken to hospital after a light bulb, pictured, got stuck in his buttocks. Doctors may have removed it using suction cups
It wasn’t clear how the lamp got there, but in previous cases, people put objects up their asses for sexual pleasure.
It was also unclear how the bulb was removed and whether the individual sustained any long-term damage.
Doctors said he was lucky the bulb hadn’t been shattered.
Dr. Julian Pylori, a gastroenterologist in Colombia, revealed the case online, writing: “Not palpable on rectal examination.
“Strange bodily material, unknown. Endoscopic removal?’
It quickly sparked a number of comments online, including from British gastroenterologist Dr. Keith Siau, who wrote, “Sorry, I’m out of bright ideas.”
Another doctor, Pakistan-based gastroenterologist Dr Ikram Tirmizi, said: ‘Looks like a lamp.
“Suction can be applied as midwives do during a normal vaginal delivery.”
Other viewers were quick to respond too, including one who said “he literally had a brilliant idea lol” and a second who complimented the patient on his “impressive skill and recklessness.”
Dr. Alice Murray, a colorectal surgeon at Harvard Medical School, previously told Subway that a “whole bunch” of stuff ends up in people’s buttocks.
“(We’ve seen) wine bottles, deodorant cans, a shower curtain rod, keys, a plastic toy snake, a gerbil — and, of course, sex toys,” she said.
Asked how they are removed, she added: “When patients come in, sometimes it’s easy to manage…requires a bit of persistence in (ER) with lots of lube and some basic tools to grab the thing and gently touch it. pull out.
“We are very careful not to damage the very important anal sphincter muscles.
“If it’s really tricky, maybe we should do this in a safer environment in the theater with the patient sedated or anesthetized and with complete relaxation of the sphincter muscles.”
In the worst case, when an object is too far up to be removed, major surgery may be required to get the object out.
Doctors have previously warned that when objects get stuck in the rectum, it can lead to the formation of a vacuum.
This could mean that when someone pulls on an object to remove it, the vacuum causes it to go further in.