A 46-year-old man had pulled a screwdriver out of his rectum after he had pushed it into himself and left him there for a week.
In a disturbing case report, doctors demonstrated that the man had a perforated bowel and was left critically ill.
He had arrived at a Florida hospital with life-threatening septic shock because of bacteria that ended up in his bloodstream due to the injury.
But only when a CT scan was performed did doctors consider the tool responsible, which measured 8.2 inches long and 1.1 inches wide (21 cm x 3 cm).
After the operation the unknown man needed surgery to remove rotting meat from his buttock after it was contaminated.
He survived and is considered the first reported case of this kind. It is not clear which end of the screwdriver was placed first.
It is also unclear why he placed the screwdriver in the first place, but he has since needed treatment for psychiatric disorders.
A 46-year-old man had pulled a screwdriver out of his rectum a week after he had put it there, doctors in Florida have revealed. They saw it with CT scans (photo)
The removed screwdriver measures 21 cm by 3 cm (8.2 inch by 1.1 inch)
The story was detailed in the Annals of Medicine and Surgery by authors led by Dr. Youssef Shaban, from the Kendall Regional Medical Center in Miami.
They revealed that the man had sought emergency help after a week of stomach and pelvic pain.
His past medical history showed that he suffered from schizophrenia and bipolar disorder and that he did not use the medication correctly.
A CT scan revealed a foreign object in the rectum that doctors soon recognized as a screwdriver.
There were clear signs that his gut was damaged, so doctors immediately gave him antibiotics and rushed him to the operating room.
Initial attempts to remove the screwdriver were unsuccessful because it was too large and there were hardened stools in the way.
That's why doctors had to cut into the abdominal cavity to examine it.
They discovered that the metal end of the screwdriver had made a hole in the colon and then pierced the gluteal muscle, damaging tissue between the penis and the anus.
Surgeons sewed the hole shut and pulled fluid from a large abscess into his right buttock.
But the man did not become stable for two days and he had to be kept on an intensive care infusion to fight his septic shock.
To save his life, doctors performed an ileostomy, diverting his body waste from his intestines to a bag outside of his body.
Only when a CT scan was performed did doctors find the tool (photo)
CT scan with the screwdriver end (circled in red) that protrudes through the buttocks
WHAT ARE THE RISKS OF PUTTING OBJECTS INTO THE ANUS?
The most common reason for introducing an anal foreign body is sexual pleasure, in which vibrators and other sex toys must be collected.
Other documented statements include drug hiding, abuse, an accident and to relieve diarrhea or constipation.
The most common complication is perforation of the rectum caused by the foreign object itself or attempting to remove it.
Antibiotics are given immediately to stop the infection.
Surgeons then open the abdomen and fix the perforation.
A temporary ileostomy is often necessary. In an ileostomy, the small intestine is led through an opening in the abdomen. The waste is collected in a bag outside the body.
Once the area has healed, the ileostomy is reversed.
Some people died after the – mostly voluntary – placement of a foreign body, according to medical literature.
Infections can lead to organ failure, septic shock, sepsis and respiratory failure.
The wound on his buttock began to rot, requiring surgeons to operate again to get rid of the dying flesh.
& # 39; After two weeks of follow-up, the patient performed well with a functioning stoma and a stoma reversal was planned, & # 39; the doctors said.
& # 39; The patient recovered and was discharged to Behavioral Health for inpatient treatment of his psychiatric disorders. & # 39;
The case is unique, but serves as a warning for doctors to be suspected of stomach pain in psychiatric patients, the doctors said.
She added: & # 39; There are two previously documented cases in the literature where screwdrivers were discovered in the colon, but both without bowel perforation. & # 39;
The first case reported was in 1861, when a prisoner brought in a 12.7 cm by 15.2 cm (5 inch by 6 inch) toolbox that led to his death a week later.
A second patient, a 56-year-old man with a psychiatric disorder, had a screwdriver with enormous forceps removed from his rectum while he was bent over.
Dr. Shaban wrote: & # 39; The most common reason for introducing anal foreign bodies is sexual pleasure.
& # 39; But other documented statements include drug hiding, abuse, & # 39; accidental & # 39 ;, psychiatric reasons and to relieve diarrhea or constipation.
& # 39; The patient may not initially provide critical information, as this may be a shameful situation. & # 39;
Surgery is a difficult task because there is a lack of research that suggests the best course of action.
Dr. Shaban wrote: & As the perforation and coarse contamination or spilling of fecal material increases, there is less consensus among surgeons about the exact surgical approach. & # 39;
. (TagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) health (t) Florida