Man, 26, has a tapeworm that lives in his brain for 15 years after he has eaten LIVE FROGS as a folk remedy

Man, 26, has a tapeworm that lives in his brain for 15 years after he cures LIVE FROGS as a folk remedy during his childhood to heal his broken leg

  • Male patient in South China developed a parasitic infection in his brain
  • He thought that folk medicine from eating uncooked frogs would help his injury
  • The man went to doctors after experiencing a bad headache and difficulty walking
  • Doctors concluded that the tapeworm had grown from the larvae in the raw frogs

A young man in South China has caused a parasitic infection in his brain during his childhood by eating live frogs.

Doctors in Changsha, Hunan province, removed a tapeworm from the brain of the 26-year-old patient who was admitted to the hospital after experiencing severe headaches and difficulty walking.

The man, nicknamed Wu, later told doctors that he had a broken bone when he was nine years old and had eaten the uncooked amphibians for a few days, believing that the folk remedy would help him cure the injury.

Doctors in Changsha, Hunan province removed a tapeworm (circled) from the patient's brain, which was hospitalized after suffering headaches and difficulty walking

Doctor He Guohua of the neurology department at Changsha Central Hospital told China News that they thought the man was having a stroke when he first was admitted on December 29th.

The man suffered from symptoms such as muscle weakness, swallowing and speech difficulties, as well as coordination problems, according to the report.

An MRI scan, however, detected a lesion on his brain stem, causing doctors to suspect and then confirmed that it was a parasitic infection.

The man suffered muscle weakness, swallowing and speech problems, as well as coordination problems when he was admitted to Changsha Central Hospital

The man suffered muscle weakness, swallowing and speech problems, as well as coordination problems when he was admitted to Changsha Central Hospital

WHAT IS SPARGANOSIS?

Sparganose is an infection caused by the larval form of a parasitic worm that is found in frogs, snakes and even pigs.

The parasites can also be passed on through a form of Chinese medicine that wets frog or snake patients on open wounds.

However, people can also consume the parasites, which can spread throughout their body, by eating raw or insufficiently heated fish.

Sparganosis is most common in the Asian countries of Thailand, China, Japan and Korea, according to medical literature.

The symptoms depend on the location in the body to which the worms have migrated, but they can cause memory loss and itching.

Different types of Spirometra can cause the infection, including the Spirometre erinaceiope.

Only 300 cases of infection caused by that specific parasite have been recorded worldwide since 1953.

The patient immediately underwent surgery, with surgeons removing the tapeworm from his brain. The parasite appeared to be a Sparganum mansoni, which often occurs in the intestines of cats and dogs, but rarely in humans.

The patient is expected to fully recover, according to the report.

Dr. He concluded that the tapeworm had grown from larvae in the frogs he ate 15 years ago.

The man is not the first to eat living amphibians, a strange habit that has arisen from central China.

Doctors have warned of a possible infection that could occur by doing so.

According to online versions of The Compendium of Materia Medica, a book written by physician and herbalist Li Shizhen during the Ming Dynasty in the 16th century, the use of tadpoles to heal ulcers or welts requires the creatures to be pureed.

In March, a woman from Jiaqing in Zhejiang Province, eastern China, who had eaten five live frogs to help her relieve the rheumatism in her legs, eventually received a huge tapeworm in one of her breasts.

Surgeons eventually took the 13 cm (five inch) tapeworm from the patient's body after the woman had been bothered by her stomach, breasts and eyes for five years.

.