Soccer star Luciano Leilua’s girlfriend accepts his marriage proposal at the Eiffel Tower just weeks after he allegedly assaulted her, as she prepares to face domestic violence charges and her lawyer denies the engagement is a stunt.
- North Queensland striker Luciano Leilua is now engaged to Dora
- He proposed to her in front of the Eiffel Tower in Paris over the weekend
- Leilua will face court in May on two counts of domestic violence
- Those seeking help in a domestic violence situation can contact Lifeline on 13 11 14 or the national family violence advice service on 1800 737 732.
- Click here for the latest international sports news from Daily Mail Australia
North Queensland Cowboys forward Luciano Leilua is now engaged to a longtime teammate who police allege he assaulted on October 3.
Leilua proposed to her partner Dora, the mother of her daughter Ida-Lynn, in Paris, France, over the weekend with the Eiffel Tower as her backdrop.
‘He said YES in the city of love! Merci Paris for the memories #Mafamille #alwaysbeenus’, she posted on Instagram.
Leilua holds her daughter Ida-Lynn and proposes to Dora in front of the Eiffel Tower in France
Leilua is scheduled to appear in court on May 18 to face two counts of assault for domestic violence.
Police alleged that Leilua assaulted a 26-year-old woman he knew at a house in Harrington Park, south-west Sydney, and laid two charges against him, including one for allegedly breaking her mobile phone.
Consequently, Leilua was excluded from the Samoan squad that stormed into the World Cup final against Australia and is banned from competing in the NRL under the code’s no-fault suspension policy.
The family shares a photo after an NRL game this year. Leilua joined the Cowboys mid-season from the Wests Tigers
Leilua is contesting the charges and her partner has refused to testify against the Cowboys star.
His high-profile lawyer, Elias Tabchouri, is now pushing for the scheduled hearing to be brought forward in a bid to ensure that Leilua can start the NRL season with the Cowboys on March 4 against the Canberra Raiders.
‘Your partner [Dora] has made it clear that he doesn’t want to go forward,” Tabchouri said. news corporation.
‘Everyone accepts that domestic violence is very serious and everyone accepts that the position taken by the NRL is okay in certain circumstances.
‘However, there must also be discretion. You cannot have a mandatory general approach.
‘That discretion has to be regulated by a series of factors that include [Covid-related] delays outside of normal adjudication delays, the attitude of the complainant, the player’s non-criminal record, and the fact that he denies the charges.
The happy family poses for a selfie after Dora accepted the marriage proposal and showed off the engagement ring
‘Where is the presumption of innocence in all this?’
“Her partner refuses to make or sign a formal statement against her to the police and indicated on the day that she did not wish to pursue the matter further,” Tabchouri said.
‘These facts must come into play. We will endeavor to contact the police and take this up with the NRL in order to allow him to continue his football career.”
The couple celebrated Ida-Lynn’s birthday earlier this year with this Instagram snap.
News Corp asked the lawyer if the Paris engagement was a stunt performed by the couple in an attempt to influence the court’s decision.
“They have a child together,” he said.
“They have been committed to each other for a long time. This is not an overnight relationship or a gimmick.
‘From my observation, your commitment is unquestionable.’
An NRL spokesperson said: “The no-fault suspension condition will remain in place until the matter is determined by the court or is withdrawn.”