Louise Minchin has spoken out about her reasons for quitting BBC Breakfast, saying she came to realize she couldn’t handle another winter of early starts after taking the time to recover from ankle surgery.
The 53-year-old TV host announced in June this year that she would be leaving the show after 20 years at the helm, with her final episode on Wednesday.
And the star has now expanded on her reason for quitting, saying she struggled with the early mornings after taking time off last year.
End of an era: Louise Minchin, 53, has spoken out about her reasons for quitting BBC Breakfast, saying she couldn’t handle another winter of early starts
She explained to the Mirror: ‘In December I was off work for three or four weeks because of an ankle surgery and I had that period to realize that if I don’t get up at 3:40 am I’m doing all sorts of things in the evening that I want to do – as usual watching television with my family, doing that kind of family stuff.
“So yes, I think it was during this period of winter that the decision was made.
She also revealed that the lockdown period had made her recognize her natural biological clock, as she mused: “It made me realize that I actually struggle a lot with the hours…I found them very difficult.”
Louise added that she was looking forward to having breakfast with her family and having a morning routine with them after failing to drive her daughters Mia (20) and Scarlett (17) to school.
Awarded Mom: Louise – who keeps her daughters Mia, 20, and Scarlett, 17, out of the spotlight (pictured in 2005) looks forward to spending time with her family
But Louise may not be out of work for too long, as she’s reportedly being watched for I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here!
ITV would like the TV presenter, who is quitting her job with the national broadcaster next week, to come on board during the ongoing casting.
Louise has experienced an incredible 20-year career in presenting and this opens the doors for a new opportunity.
MailOnline has contacted ITV for comment.
Quality time: Louise also said she is looking forward to spending more time with her husband David (photo 2008)
A source told The sun“There is a long tradition of reality TV shows targeting news presenters and I’m A Celebrity is no different.
‘Victoria Derbyshire was featured earlier in the show and proved very popular with viewers. ITV hope they can do the same with Louise and have approached her to come on board.”
The upcoming series will be re-filmed at Gwrych Castle in North Wales, after ITV bosses ruled out a return to Australia due to travel restrictions on the east coast of the country, currently in the middle of another Lock down.
The source also claimed that ITV has made a ‘decent offer’ to Louise, hoping she can take a few weeks break ahead of the new series which is expected to start in November.
If the journalist takes up their offer from ITV, she could be pitted on rival channels against former BBC co-presenter Dan Walker, who can be seen on Strictly Come Dancing this year.
This is reportedly one of the reasons why ITV has put her in their sights.
Friendly competition: Louise is being watched for I’m A Celebrity, which could see her feature on rival channels with former BBC co-presenter Dan Walker (pictured) who can be seen on Strictly Come Dancing this year
The rumors come after work got underway in earnest on Monday as builders prepared Gwrych Castle and the adjacent 236-acre estate for the new series.
Located near Abergele in picturesque Conwy County, North Wales, the Grade II listed 19th-century manor house will play host to the long-running ITV show for the second year running.
ITV bosses face a battle against time to renovate the dilapidated building – now closed to the public – and surrounding areas in the run-up to the 21st series.
Picturesque: Gwrych Castle, located near Abergele in picturesque Conwy County, North Wales, will host the long-running ITV show for the second year running