LaLiga president Javier Tebas has launched another attack on the European Super League after a dramatic derby between Real Betis and Sevilla.
Spanish giants Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid and Barcelona were among the original group of 12 European clubs trying to escape domestic competition in 2021.
Real and Barca want to reinvigorate the idea, still believing that the future direction of European football is to break away from LaLiga and UEFA to form their own lucrative league.
LaLiga president Javier Tebas used the Real Betis vs Sevilla derby to launch another attack on the breakaway clubs that want a European Super League
Tebas has been an outspoken critic of Real Madrid and Barcelona’s plans to escape
Tebas, one of the most outspoken critics of the Super League, tweeted a video of the stunning light show and musical performance ahead of Sunday night’s game at Benito Villamarin stadium.
And he wrote: ‘Spectacular! For A22 Sport [those from the Super League]“Real Betis and their fans cannot play in the Super League like so many clubs in Europe.
“They say they don’t make money and their matches aren’t ‘interesting’ [crying face emoji]. What they need to learn.’
The Sevilla derby certainly lived up to the hype. Nemanja Gudelj saved a late point for Sevilla in a 1-1 draw after an own goal from Jesus Navas gave Betis the lead.
Tebas tweeted: ‘Spectacular! For A22 Sport [those from the Super League]“Real Betis and their fans cannot play in the Super League like so many clubs in Europe. “They say they don’t make money and their matches aren’t ‘interesting’ [crying face emoji]. What they need to learn.’
Sunday night’s derby ended 1-1 at Estadio Benito Villamarin, with three players sent off
Sevilla celebrate their late equalizer, courtesy of Nemanja Gudelj as they took a point
Three players saw red – including Betis midfielder Nabil Fekir (left) – in a fiery match
In a typically fiery atmosphere, two Betis players and one from Seville were sent off.
Tebas’ latest Super League attack came two days after LaLiga targeted Real president Florentino Perez and his Barca counterpart Joan Laporta, who played a key role in the plans.
The league quickly collapsed after a backlash from supporters, not least from the six Premier League clubs that had signed up.
The British government, UEFA and FIFA also strongly revolted against the escape.
LaLiga slammed into European Super League after organizers said it would be ‘inclusive’
One of the main objections from fans to the competition was its closed nature, with the premise that 15 of the continent’s top clubs would be permanent members.
A video posted Friday morning to LaLiga’s Twitter account read: “All of European football took a stand against the closed, selfish and elitist model of the Super League.
“The Super League promoters are trying to hide its format and claim they still don’t have a set model, although it will be inclusive and open.
“We know this is not true and they want to present a semi-closed format similar to that of 2019, which has already been rejected by the clubs and (the) European Leagues (group).”
LaLiga sees this as a renewed effort by the concerned clubs to ensure entry into European competition without missing the risk in the event of a bad season in their domestic league.
Fans rioted en masse to protest the formation of the controversial league in 2021
“This model is based on promotion and relegation between European divisions where the national leagues do not provide direct access to the highest level,” the video said.
“On the contrary, they perpetuate the participation of a privileged vision even if they perform poorly in their domestic competitions.”
Tebas criticized recent attempts to reposition the league by A22, the company behind it, saying at last week’s Web Summit in Lisbon: ‘They may look like lambs, but they’re actually wolves. The same wolves as before.’
Speaking at the same event, A22’s new CEO Bernd Reichart said he had received an invitation to meet with UEFA, which would happen ‘soon’.
Reichart’s call for a meeting comes as A22 and UEFA await an update from the European Court of Justice.
The Court of Justice has been asked to rule whether UEFA and FIFA abused a dominant position under EU competition law by blocking the formation of the Super League last year and punishing the clubs involved.
The Solicitor General’s opinion on the matter is expected to be published on December 15. That opinion is non-binding, but in many previous cases the judges’ final ruling has mirrored it closely, so it could give a strong indication of the final outcome, which is expected next year.