South Korean giant Krafton said on Friday it has received approval from Indian authorities to resume Battlegrounds Mobile India operations. It plans to relaunch the title in the South Asian market “soon”. The move follows New Delhi blocking the game last year, less than two years after banning Krafton’s marquee offering PUBG.
Krafton has been in contact with New Delhi for the past few weeks and was given approval earlier this month to proceed with the resumption of BGMI, according to a person familiar with the matter. Krafton did not respond to a request for comment on Thursday.
“We are deeply grateful to the Indian authorities for allowing us to resume Battlegrounds Mobile India operations. We would like to thank our Indian gaming community for their support and patience over the past few months,” Sean Hyunil Sohn, CEO of Krafton India, said in a statement.
“We are pleased to announce that Battlegrounds Mobile India will soon be available for download and we can’t wait to welcome you back to our platform. We believe in the power of gaming to bring people together and create unforgettable experiences. We are committed to providing exceptional products and services to our users in India and abroad, and we look forward to continuing our journey with you.”
The move comes as New Delhi is considering lifting the ban on a number of apps it believed had ties to China. E-commerce service Shein will also re-enter India in partnership with local retail giant Reliance Retail, WSJ reported Thursday.
More to follow.