It’s no secret that sister-in-law Meghan Markle and Kate Middleton don’t have a warm relationship, and today’s news that the Duchess of Sussex will not be attending King Charles’s coronation may well come as a welcome relief to the Princess of Wales.
Buckingham Palace announced today that Prince Harry will attend his father’s big day alone, while Meghan will stay behind in California with the couple’s two children Archie and Lili.
And while there will certainly still be tension in the air, Meghan’s absence will reportedly make things a little easier for senior royals.
A royal observer commented, “Charles will be pleased. The rest of the family will be relieved that Meghan won’t be there – it would have been extremely uncomfortable for Kate.”
It comes amid reports that Kate found her walk in Windsor with Harry and Meghan after the Queen’s death “one of the hardest things she ever had to do,” according to a sensational new royal book.
The Princess of Wales, pictured with Prince Louis on Easter Sunday, would have been ‘particularly uncomfortable’ if Meghan had attended the coronation, a royal observer has claimed
Kate found her walk in Windsor with Harry and Meghan after the Queen’s death “one of the hardest things she ever had to do,” a sensational new royal book recently claimed
The Princess of Wales told a senior royal it was so difficult for her because of the “bad feeling” between the couples, veteran royal correspondent Robert Jobson said in Our King, serialized in The Daily Mail and The Mail on Sunday.
The book lays bare the inner story of the Royals’ war with the Sussexes before, during and after Megxit.
Kate and William’s appearance with Harry and Meghan to greet well-wishers and view the flowers outside the gates of Windsor Castle came two days after the Queen’s passing at the age of 96 in September last year.
To many, the couples’ joint walk — reportedly William’s idea to put on a show of unity — may have seemed like a reconciliation of sorts.
But Jobson says sources close to the royal family have confirmed to him that this was an “illusion.”
“Catherine later admitted to a senior royal that, such was the bad feeling between the two couples, the walk together was one of the hardest things she’d ever had to do,” he writes.
It comes as relations between the Sussexes and the rest of the royal family remain at an all-time low following a series of blistering attacks over the past year.
The Harry & Meghan Netflix documentary in December criticized King Charles as a father before lashing out at male members of the Firm’s choice of women.
Harry insisted his decision to marry Meghan set him apart from his family because it was “from his heart” and not because she would “fit the mold.”
Meanwhile, the Duke’s bombshell memoir, released in February, dealt further blows to the monarchy’s reputation.
Harry accused his brother of sexual assault, branded his stepmother a “bad guy” and spoke repeatedly about the family’s “unconscious bias” when it comes to race.
The late Queen Elizabeth II, Charles, Camilla, William, Kate, Harry and Meghan attend the Commonwealth Day Service on March 9, 2020
There is yet to be a reconciliation and all eyes are on the King’s coronation on May 6 – which Prince Harry will attend alone.
Buckingham Palace confirmed the dramatic news in a statement today, saying it was ‘pleased to confirm’ that the Duke of Sussex will be at Westminster Abbey on May 6.
But the Duchess stays home at the couple’s Montecito residence with year-old Lilibet and Archie, whose fourth birthday falls on the same day as the ceremony.
The couple’s boyfriend, Omid Scobie, confirmed that Archie’s birthday “played a factor in the couple’s decision” and expected it to be a “pretty quick trip to the UK” for Harry. The Duke will only attend the ceremony itself, which will likely last a few hours.
The announcement comes just over three weeks to the event, and a royal observer told MailOnline: ‘Charles will be pleased. The rest of the family will be relieved that Meghan won’t be there – it would have been extremely uncomfortable for Kate.”
Harry and Meghan had controversially postponed their decision on whether or not to fly for the ceremony, despite the April 3 RSVP date having passed.