Kate Garraway takes over the affairs of the seriously ill husband Derek Draper


MARCH 2020

Kate revealed she and Prince Charles had come ‘relatively close’ to the Prince’s Trust Awards on March 11 – Charles was diagnosed with the corona virus in mid-March.

She said, ‘About March 29/30 I came home, came in and said [to Derek] “God, you look sick.”

He said he had a headache, numbness in his right hand, and was having trouble breathing,

“I called Dr. Hilary (Jones) and tried to get through, he spoke to Derek. He said put me back on, I think you should call an ambulance ‘

Derek, 52, was hospitalized on March 30 and continued to be unresponsive.


Kate and her children were isolated at home after showing ‘mild symptoms’.

Kate said, “Derek remains in intensive care and is still very sick. I’m afraid it will remain an excruciatingly troubling time.

“I’m afraid he’s still in a very critical condition, but he’s still there, which means there’s hope.”


Kate said, “The journey seems far from over for me and my family, as every day my heart sinks as I learn new and devastating ways this virus should take more battles for Derek.

“But he’s still HERE, so there’s still hope.”

That month, Kate and her family participated in the final blow to caretakers

She said, ‘I’ll never give up on that because Derek is the love of my life, but at the same time I have absolute insecurity’


On June 5, Kate revealed that Derek is now free from coronavirus but continues to fight the damage done to his body


On July 5, Kate revealed that Derek has come out of his coma, but that he is still in a serious but critical condition.

On July 8, she announced she would be returning to GMB after being urged by doctors to “get on with life” during Derek’s recovery.

She added that Derek had ‘opened his eyes’ after waking up from his coma, but was told his recovery could take years.

On July 13, Kate returned to GMB for the first time since Derek was hospitalized.

On July 28, Kate revealed that she had made an ‘extra emotional’ first visit to Derek, admitting that she was ‘frustrated’ by his slow progress.


On August 14, Kate assured GMB viewers that Derek was “still with us,” but that it was “a waiting game.”

On August 19, Kate revealed that she was celebrating Derek’s birthday with their two children, describing the day as ‘challenging’ for her family.


In late September, Derek reportedly becomes the surviving coronavirus patient after 184 days in intensive care and beyond.

Kate reveals that Derek lost eight stones in his fight.

The presenter announces that she is returning to her Smooth Radio show so that Derek can hear her voice.


On October 30, Kate reveals that Derek has spoken for the first time in seven months and said the word ‘pain’ to his wife, who watched ‘in tears’ during FaceTime.

Kate says a day later that her husband no longer needs a ventilator to breathe.


Kate reveals that her family car was stolen during the last ‘hard blow’ in her family life, while kind-hearted fans offer their car to help.

She says she feels “physically ill” at the prospect of her first Christmas without facing Derek.


The GMB star tells viewers that her dream is to visit Derek on Christmas Day.

She also reveals that she missed two weeks on GMB after her kids were exposed to the virus, but luckily she and the kids tested negative.

On December 17, Kate has an emotional conversation live on GMB with two nurses who treated Derek when he was first admitted to Whittington Hospital in North London.

On New Year’s Eve, she reminisces about a “disastrous” Christmas without Derek, when her house was flooded and she struggled to get her hands on a food delivery machine until her friend Emma Willis stepped in to help.


Kate reveals that she and her children visited Derek in the hospital over the Christmas season, and it was the first time her family had seen him since he was hospitalized.

She also says she should not see him due to new restrictions introduced during the government’s third lockdown.


Kate reveals she’s unsure how much Derek will ‘ever be able to recover’ after doctors warn he may never wake up from coma