Home Entertainment Kate Garraway pays tribute to her late husband Derek Draper on the first Father’s Day since his death as she visits his grave with her children Darcey and Billy.

Kate Garraway pays tribute to her late husband Derek Draper on the first Father’s Day since his death as she visits his grave with her children Darcey and Billy.

0 comment
Kate Garraway pays tribute to her late husband Derek Draper on the first Father's Day since his death as she visits his grave with her children Darcey and Billy.

MARCH 2020

Kate revealed that she and Prince Charles had been “relatively close” at the Prince’s Trust Awards on March 11 – Charles was diagnosed with coronavirus in mid-March.

She said: “Around March 29/30, I came home and said (to Derek), ‘God, you look sick.’

“He said he had a headache, numbness in his right hand and was having trouble breathing.

‘I called Dr Hilary (Jones) and tried to get through, he spoke to Derek. He said put me back on, I think you need to call an ambulance.

Derek, 52, was admitted to hospital on March 30 and remained unconscious.


Kate and her children isolated at home after she showed “mild symptoms.”

Kate said: ‘Derek remains in intensive care and is still very ill. I fear this remains a tremendously worrying time.

“I’m afraid it’s still in a deeply critical state, but it’s still here, which means there is hope.”


Kate said: “The journey for me and my family seems far from over as each day my heart sinks as I learn new and devastating ways this virus has more battles for Derek to fight.”

“But he is still HERE and that’s why there is still hope.”

That month, Kate and her family participated in the final applause for caregivers.

She said: “I will never give that up because Derek is the love of my life, but at the same time I have complete uncertainty.”


On June 5, Kate revealed that Derek is now free of the coronavirus but continues to battle the damage inflicted on his body.


On July 5, Kate revealed that Derek had woken up from a coma but remained in a serious but critical condition.

On July 8, she announced that she would be returning to GMB, after doctors urged her to “get on with her life” during Derek’s recovery.

He added that Derek had “opened his eyes” after waking up from a coma, but had been told his recovery could take years.

On July 13, Kate returned to GMB for the first time since Derek was hospitalized.

On July 28, Kate revealed she had made a “very emotional” first visit to Derek and admitted she was “frustrated” by his slow progress.


On August 14, Kate assured GMB viewers that Derek was “still with us” but that it was “a waiting game.”

On August 19, Kate revealed that she celebrated Derek’s birthday with her two children and described the day as “challenging” for her family.


In late September, Derek reportedly becomes the longest-surviving coronavirus patient after spending 184 days in and out of intensive care.

Kate reveals that Derek has lost eight kilos during his battle.

The presenter announces that she will return to her show Smooth Radio so that Derek can hear her voice.


On October 30, Kate reveals that Derek spoke for the first time in seven months, saying the word “pain” to his wife, who looked at him “crying” over FaceTime.

Kate says a day later that her husband no longer needs a ventilator to breathe.


Kate reveals her family car has been stolen in the latest ‘blow’ to her family life, as kind-hearted fans offer their cars to help.

She says she feels “physically sick” at the prospect of facing her first Christmas without Derek.


The GMB star tells viewers her dream is to visit Derek on Christmas Day.

She also reveals that she skipped two weeks of GMB after her children were exposed to the virus, but luckily she and the children tested negative.

On December 17, Kate has an emotional conversation live on GMB with two nurses who treated Derek when he was first admitted to Whittington Hospital in north London.

On New Year’s Eve, she reflects on a “calamitous” Christmas without Derek, when her house flooded and she struggled to get a space to deliver food until her friend Emma Willis stepped in to help.


Kate reveals that she and her children visited Derek in hospital over the Christmas period and it was the first time his family had seen him since he was hospitalised.

She also says she is prohibited from seeing him due to new restrictions introduced during the third government shutdown.


Kate reveals she’s not sure how much Derek will “ever” recover following doctors’ warning that he may never wake up from his coma.


Kate revealed she was in the process of adapting her home to suit Derek’s needs when he was finally discharged from hospital, in the ITV documentary Finding Derek.

The show was praised by viewers for offering a harrowing look at the long-term effects of coronavirus.

Kate also revealed that Derek has ‘no muscles left’ since battling Covid


Kate revealed that Derek was eventually allowed to leave the hospital, but would need round-the-clock care once he returned home.


Kate revealed that despite now being at home with her family, her communication skills were “minimal” and she “couldn’t really move.”


During an appearance on Piers Morgan’s Life Stories, Kate revealed that Derek had said “I love you” for the first time.

After celebrating Christmas, Derek was also pictured in a wheelchair during a trip to the pantomime with his family.


Kate revealed that Derek was “very fatigued” and “very weak” after the family outing, adding: “I don’t know what this year will bring.”


Kate offered a glimpse into the daily struggles of caring for her husband amid his battle with long Covid in the documentary Caring For Derek.

He also revealed that Derek would die in three days if he was left alone to care for himself.


On July 6, Kate revealed that Derek had been readmitted to the hospital after suffering a “discharge” and in a subsequent interview said that he is taking things “day by day.”

On July 20, it was reported that Kate had stopped presenting Good Morning Britain to be at Derek’s bedside after he took a “very serious” turn for the worse.

Recalling the day, the presenter told The Sun: “At one point, Derek said to me: ‘This is it, this time. I’m leaving.” It was just terrifying.

“His sepsis was heartbreaking for all of us because it was undiagnosed to the point where it almost took his life again.”


Kate she felt overwhelmed when she confronted the former health secretary Matt Hancock about his handling of the pandemic and his decision to continue I’m a celebrity…Get me out of here.

Then she began to cry and looked up while talking about Derek, who has been unwell for almost three years.

Describing the public anger towards him, Kate added of his decision: “This gives the impression that you still don’t understand why they are angry.” You still don’t understand why people are upset. They want you to be more accountable.


Kate revealed Derek was once again receiving care in hospital, as she shared the emotional moment Sir Elton John dedicated a song to the ‘inspirational’ couple.

She shared the emotional moment Sir Elton John dedicated a song to the “inspirational” couple, writing on Instagram: “Yes Derek is back in hospital this week and yes there is a very long road ahead but #eltonjohn and @ davidfurnish you gave to the children.” & Derek a moment we will never forget and it has lifted their spirits again as they feel that anything is possible.’

It was also reported that Kate was planning a trip around the world to receive pioneering treatment in the “last hope” of helping her husband.


Kate reportedly faced a huge tax bill of £716,000 after being forced to close her husband’s business two years after he contracted Covid-19.

The final total will be settled in the coming weeks and her friends insist she will pay what is owed.

A friend told The Sun: ‘The figures are scary and Kate is of course worried about all the financial pressures, but she has to trust the process.

‘When the end comes, she is determined to repay everything that is owed to her.

‘It’s no secret that Kate has been fighting to keep her husband alive and overcoming some heartbreaking situations in her personal life in recent years.

“Sadly, in addition to the emotional stress of Derek’s terrible illnesses, the financial burden has also been overwhelming.”


Derek had to fight for his life after suffering a heart attack.

Kate kept a 24/7 vigil at her bedside and canceled all work commitments while the family “prayed for a miracle.”

A source said: “It was sudden and a shock as he had been doing very well and was in great spirits, looking forward to Christmas at home with the family.”

‘This setback has been a hard blow for his family and for all the people who care for him. Kate is by her side 24 hours a day and is determined to help her win this last battle for her life.

“Derek has fought many times and always, against all odds, he comes out on top.”


Kate announced on January 5 that Derek had passed away.

She said: ‘Derek was surrounded by his family in his final days and I was by his side holding his hand during the last long hours and when he passed away.

“I have much more to say, and of course I will in due time, but for now I just want to thank all the medical teams who fought so hard to save him and make his final moments as comfortable and dignified as possible.” possible’.

MailOnline understands that he died on January 3 in a north London hospital.

He is survived by his wife Kate and children Darcey, 17, and son William, 14.

You may also like