Karl Stefanovic clashes with businesswoman for criticizing the $ 52 million dollar fundraising of Celeste Barber
Karl Stefanovic closed horns with a businesswoman who criticized comedian Celeste Barber for trying to dictate where her $ 52 million emergency aid donations would go.
Tania Burstin, founder of crowdfunding site MyCause, called Barber “attract attention” in the Today Show on Monday morning.
The online profession of the comedian last month attracted more than a million donations from around the world when catastrophic forest fires destroyed the country.
She told the donors that the money would go to various charities, including assistance to wild animals.
But a legal roadblock could mean that the donations never reach the donations for which it was intended, so Barber called in lawyers to resolve a dispute over the funds.
Tania Burstin, founder of crowdfunding site MyCause, called Barber ‘getting attention’ at the Today Show on Monday morning
A visibly irritated Karl Stefanovic defended Celeste Barber’s fundraising and slammed Mrs. Burstin’s ‘whining’. Pictured with co-host Sylvia Jeffreys
Mrs. Burstin threw Barber for trying to divert where the money is being donated.
“I think her words, now trying to start the legal battle and moving where the money is going, attract attention because the money cannot be moved,” she said.
“She did a great job, but she said the funds went to places where the funds unfortunately don’t go.
‘The money has been donated to RFS. That’s where people understood that the funds would go, but unfortunately she misled people by saying that the funds went to wild animal organizations or to Victoria. “
Barber sent the money to the RFS Brigades Donations Fund, but was not aware that donations sent to this fund are only used for training, resources and fire equipment – not for the volunteers and their families or fire-affected communities.
Despite her criticism of Barber, the MyCause director acknowledged her “great” fundraising.
“I love it and her fundraising has been incredible and groundbreaking,” Burstin said.
Barber’s online call last month attracted more than a million donations from around the world when catastrophic forest fires destroyed the country. Pictured at the Fire Fight Australia bushfire relief concert at ANZ Stadium on Sunday
But a visibly irritated Stefanovic defended Barber’s efforts and slammed Mrs. Burstin’s ‘whine’.
“If people are listening all over the country right now, they would say what this woman is, is it you who nags this morning?” He said.
‘Celeste Barber has done his best to raise money for the RFS. There is clearly devil in the details that must be sorted, but in general you are so upset, considering how much money she has raised and how much good she has done? ”
Mrs. Bustin replied: “There is no confusion, the funds have been donated to RFS New South Wales.”
Stefanovic reacted twice to his criticism of the guest of the show and asked frankly: “What is your beef?”
“I don’t have beef,” she replied. “I’m only concerned that people are misleading that their money goes to destroyed communities and wildlife, which they unfortunately aren’t.”
So far, none of the $ 51.2 million has been spent due to RFS rules that state donations addressed to the service manager should be spent on fire fighting equipment and training, not on families or charities
NSW RFS spokesperson James Morris says the service wants to distribute the money in accordance with Barber’s wishes, but it is not certain whether it can be done for legal reasons.
“Our lawyers are working with Celeste’s lawyers to find a way to do this,” he told AAP on Sunday.
‘Everyone is friendly about it and we work together to hopefully find a solution.
“The confidence of NSW RFS exists solely for the purpose of supporting volunteer-based fire and emergency services to assist with the purchase and maintenance of fire-fighting equipment and to provide training for volunteers.”
Barber sent the money to the RFS Brigades Donations Fund, but did not know that donations sent to this fund are only used for training, resources and firefighting equipment. Pictured at the Fire Fight Australia bushfire relief concert at ANZ Stadium on Sunday