Juventus joins Inter, AC Milan and Atletico Madrid to withdraw from the European Super League

0

Juventus reluctantly joined AC Milan, Inter and Atletico Madrid on Wednesday to withdraw from the European Super League, shredding its much-maligned plans.

The Premier League’s Big Six – Manchester City, United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham – all withdrew from the European Super League late on Tuesday night, leading to the suspension amid a widespread fan rebellion after the news it emerged only 48 hours earlier that they were six. of the 12 founding members.

And now the Italian trio Juventus, Inter Milan and AC Milan, in addition to Atletico, have confirmed that they have joined the Premier League’s Big Six in performing a U-turn, leaving only Barcelona and Real Madrid alone in the doomed Super League.

Juventus, whose president Andrea Agnelli helped lead the Super League, has reluctantly pulled out of the fateful venture

Juventus, whose president Andrea Agnelli helped lead the Super League, has reluctantly pulled out of the fateful venture

Inter Milan, led by President Steven Zhang (pictured), previously withdrew

Inter Milan, led by President Steven Zhang (pictured), previously withdrew

AC Milan, whose CEO is Ivan Gazidis, also withdrew from the Super League

AC Milan, whose CEO is Ivan Gazidis, also withdrew from the Super League

Italian rivals Inter Milan (left – President Steven Zhang) and AC Milan (right – CEO Ivan Gazidis) previously withdrew from the Super League

And of the four European teams that confirmed their move on Wednesday, it was Juventus – whose president Andrea Agnelli was a key figurehead in the proposals – that was more challenging than others.

The Serie A outfit said: ‘With reference to the press release issued by Juventus Football Club on April 19, 2021, regarding the proposed creation of the Super League, and subsequent public debate, the publisher clarifies that he is aware of the request and the intentions. otherwise, certain clubs have indicated their withdrawal from this project, although the necessary procedures foreseen in the agreement between the clubs have not been completed.

In this context, while Juventus remains convinced of the soundness of the project’s sporting, commercial and legal principles, it believes there are currently limited opportunities for the project to be completed in its original form.

“Juventus remains committed to creating long-term value for the company and the entire football industry.”

Inter said in their statement Wednesday morning that in the future they will continue to work with the relevant authorities to “ continue to excite fans of all ages around the world. ”

“FC Internazionale Milano confirms that the club is no longer part of the Super League project,” the statement read. “We are always committed to providing the fans with the best football experience; innovation and inclusion have been part of our DNA since our foundation. Our commitment to all stakeholders to improve the football industry will never change.

With plans confused, Atlético Madrid also withdrew after widespread backlash

With plans confused, Atlético Madrid also withdrew after widespread backlash

With plans confused, Atlético Madrid also withdrew after widespread backlash

Inter believes that football, like any sector of activity, should have an interest in continuously improving its leagues, in order to continue to excite fans of all ages around the world, within a framework of financial sustainability.

“With this vision, we will continue to work with institutions and all stakeholders for the future of the sport we all love.”

Rivals AC went for a similar theme in their announcement, claiming that ‘evolution is necessary for progress’ before admitting to listening to the concerns of fans around the world.

“We accepted the invitation to participate in the Super League project with the sincere intention of providing the best possible European competition for football fans around the world and in the best interest of the club and our own fans,” Milan wrote.

Change is not always easy, but evolution is necessary to make progress, and the structures of European football have evolved and changed over the decades.

However, the voices and concerns of fans around the world have been clearly voiced about the Super League, and AC Milan must be sensitive to the voices of those who love this wonderful sport. We will continue to work hard to deliver a sustainable football model. ‘

Meanwhile, LaLiga outfit Atletico admitted to withdrawing from the Super League to ensure there is ‘harmony’ between the club, players and its loyal fans.

Spanish arch-rivals Barcelona and Real Madrid remain in the much-maligned venture

Spanish arch-rivals Barcelona and Real Madrid remain in the much-maligned venture

Spanish arch-rivals Barcelona and Real Madrid remain in the much-maligned venture

The club’s statement read: “ Atletico de Madrid’s board of directors, which met Wednesday morning, has decided to formally communicate to the Superliga and the rest of the founding clubs their decision not to ultimately formalize their participation in the project.

Atletico de Madrid made the decision to participate in this project last Monday in response to circumstances that now no longer exist.

‘For the club, harmony is essential between all the groups that are part of the rojiblanca family, especially our fans.

“The selection of the first team and their coach have expressed their satisfaction with the club’s decision, recognizing that sporting merits must take precedence over all other criteria.”

After it was officially announced that the 12 clubs had become founding members of the Super League, there was rapid protests by fans across Europe against the plans that sparked a civil war in football.

The breakaway league threatened to drastically change the football landscape across the continent.

Chelsea and Man City led the way when all six English clubs announced their intention to leave

Chelsea and Man City led the way when all six English clubs announced their intention to leave

Chelsea and Man City led the way when all six English clubs announced their intention to leave

But the widespread backlash led the majority of the teams to revert to their original decision, with the domino effect kicking off late in England on Tuesday night.

England’s participating clubs each released statements announcing their intention to leave the competition.

Meanwhile, confirmation from Inter followed previous reports from ANSA and Corriere dello Sport that the Super League was no longer of interest to Serie A leaders.

Inter-president Steven Zhang initially joined the Super League to solve the club’s economic problems.

Inter was hit hard during the Covid-19 pandemic and its owners – Suning – were recently forced to shut down the activities of the Chinese football clubs due to financial difficulties.

The first 12 founding members would each receive £ 300 million when the European Super League kicked off, with plans funded by Wall Street giant JP Morgan.

But after Inter was threatened to be expelled from Serie A by FIGC president Gabriele Gravina, who damaged European football in the Super League, Inter has made a dramatic turnaround as they seek to seal the top Italian title.

Inter are on the eve of their first Serie A crown since the 2009-10 season, nine points ahead of arch-rival AC Milan with only seven games to play.

Solving the club’s financial woes remains a priority at the end of the season, but for now, Antonio Conte’s side can now focus on ruling Italy.

For the pile of cash withdrawals on Wednesday, Agnelli himself admitted to beating the Super League.

When asked if the project could still take place after the departure of the Premier League clubs, Agnelli told Reuters, “To be fair and honest, no, it clearly isn’t.”

Agnelli said he remained convinced that European football needed change and that he did not regret the way the breakout attempt was undertaken.

“I remain convinced of the beauty of that project,” said Agnelli, who said it would have created the best competition in the world.

“But admittedly … I mean, I don’t think that project is ongoing now,” he added.

So did Man United, who also announced that CEO Ed Woodward would step down

So did Man United, who also announced that CEO Ed Woodward would step down

So did Man United, who also announced that CEO Ed Woodward would step down

.