Jussie Smollett loses the lead role in the revival of Tony-winning drama Take Me Out on Broadway

Jussie Smollett's future career prospects could be jeopardized, despite the fact that the actor manages to avoid criminal charges that allegedly lie about a hate crime attack.

Multiple sources tell DailyMail.com that Smollett has been cut off from the upcoming Broadway revival of the Tony-winning play Take Me Out from 2003.

The actor had been to New York to read that piece, just 12 hours before telling the police that he had jumped through two racist and homophobic men as he walked home to his apartment.

But after investigation, the Chicago police claimed that the attack had been a hoax to raise his profile before contract negotiations for the Empire TV show.

He was dealing with 16 offenses of disorderly conduct for making a fake message, but the case against him was unexpectedly overturned by the state prosecutor last month. Smollett denied the charge.

But it seems that his career could have been damaged even if he was brought to court after refusing to pay $ 130,106 in overtime that the police had incurred to investigate the incident.

& # 39; Everything was ready to go and the producers were planning to announce that Jussie and Zachary Quinto sparkled in the game last month & # 39 ;, said a Broadway insider.

& # 39; Everyone was so helpful after the attack and then suddenly everything went smoothly. & # 39;

Scroll down for video

Cut: Jussie Smollett (above on Empire) was considered for the lead role in the upcoming Broadway revival of Take Me Out

Cut: Jussie Smollett (above on Empire) was considered for the lead role in the upcoming Broadway revival of Take Me Out

Baseball on Broadway: the original production (on top of the opening night in February 2003) won three Tony Awards in 2003, including Best Play and Best Featured Actor

Baseball on Broadway: the original production (on top of the opening night in February 2003) won three Tony Awards in 2003, including Best Play and Best Featured Actor

Baseball on Broadway: the original production (on top of the opening night in February 2003) won three Tony Awards in 2003, including Best Play and Best Featured Actor

Another source close to production repeated this and said that the events of the last months have left them in shock.

& # 39; Here's a kid who's on a TV hit, made a name, and gets the chance of his life, & said the source.

& # 39; He would have released the sixth season of Empire and kicked off the next part of his career with a role on Broadway. And not only that, the leading role in one of the best pieces of the century in his debut on Broadway. & # 39;

That source then added: & # 39; Why on earth would anyone throw that all away. & # 39;

Press repetitions for the upcoming revival did not respond to a request for comment. There was also no response from Smollett's crisis manager.

This comes at a time when Smollett has no projects in the making and can even be cut off from the upcoming sixth season of Empire.

Fox still has to officially renew the program, but it is almost guaranteed that it will be active on the network for another season.

DailyMail.com spoke to sources earlier in February when the game was in the early stages of a possible revival.

In 2003 it won three Tony Awards for Best Play, Best Director (Joe Mantello) and Best Featured Actor (Dennis O & # 39; Hare).

Two lectures were given by the actors present, including Zachary Quinto, on the morning and afternoon of January 28.

Quinto later said about the attack on Smollett and said: & I was absolutely furious about the injustice and futility of such violence. but I was also vividly reminded that we MUST continue our fight for equality and acceptance at every turn in this country and in this world.

Mok: representatives of the play and Smollett (photo above) did not return any requests for comment

Mok: representatives of the play and Smollett (photo above) did not return any requests for comment

Mok: representatives of the play and Smollett (photo above) did not return any requests for comment

Wanneer When talented and courageous young men like Jussie are targeted and knocked down in our streets – we must collectively stand up to such hatred and be IDENTIFIED and be PROUD and STRONG in our beliefs of truth and self love and love for one another . & # 39;

When that second reading of the play was packed, Smollett left for LaGuardia Airport for the flight back to Chicago, where he would film the final episodes of Empire & # 39; s fourth season.

He was ready to return to Windy City on the evening of January 28, but was stopped when his flight was delayed while he and the other passengers were on the asphalt.

At that time, Smollett began publishing Instagram stories, first noting that there was a delay and then being posted again when two hours after boarding had still not taken off for his destination.

Another post went up when the plane finally departed, followed by his last post of the night when he landed in Chicago after midnight.

A source of research knowledge told DailyMail.com that researchers thought these stories were all posted on social media so that Smollett could alert the men to the attack.

Moreover, they also believe that this could explain why a woman in the Smollett building said she saw two men hanging around the houses with a rope hanging about 90 minutes before the incident.

Smollett then went to Subway when he came home at 2:00 am, despite the fact that it was then 10 degrees in Chicago.

Take Me Out starts the previews on March 23, 2020 before they are opened a month later in April 2020.

That prime spot in the season and the attachment of Tony and Emmy-winning director Scott Ellis suggests that the producers have high expectations for the coming season.

In addition to the rave reviews that followed the Broadway premiere in 2003, the piece also got the front page of a shower scene with a dressing room in which each character except one is completely nude.

It is unclear whether Quinto will still appear in production, which would mark his third appearance on Broadway after sharing in The Glass menagerie and the poorly rated but well-attended series The Boys in the Band of last season.

Protests: Smollett is now facing a lawsuit after the actor refused to pay $ 130,106 for overtime worked by the police who investigated the incident in January (police supproters calling on Kim Foxx to resign early April)

Protests: Smollett is now facing a lawsuit after the actor refused to pay $ 130,106 for overtime worked by the police who investigated the incident in January (police supproters calling on Kim Foxx to resign early April)

Protests: Smollett is now facing a lawsuit after the actor refused to pay $ 130,106 for overtime worked by the police who investigated the incident in January (police supproters calling on Kim Foxx to resign early April)

Foils: Attorney General Kim Foxx (immediately in February), whose office was in charge of the probe, was repeatedly confronted with calls to resign for her handling of the case, and endured the very public anger of the chief police inspector from Chicago, Eddie Johnson (left))

Foils: Attorney General Kim Foxx (immediately in February), whose office was in charge of the probe, was repeatedly confronted with calls to resign for her handling of the case, and endured the very public anger of the chief police inspector from Chicago, Eddie Johnson (left))

Foils: Attorney General Kim Foxx (immediately in February), whose office was in charge of the probe, was repeatedly confronted with calls to resign for her handling of the case, and endured the very public anger of the chief police inspector from Chicago, Eddie Johnson (left))

The case against Smollett was suddenly and unexpectedly dropped by the state prosecution last month.

State attorney Kim Foxx, whose office was in charge of the probe, was repeatedly confronted with calls to resign for her handling of the case, and withstood the very public anger of the Chicago Police Department chief inspector, Eddie Johnson and the former mayor of the city, Rahm Emanuel.

Smollett is now facing a lawsuit after the actor refused to pay $ 130,106 in overtime accumulated by the police investigating the January incident that the authorities now assume is a phased attack.

A complaint from DailyMail.com shows that the city is looking for that amount of overtime and more in damage that was caused when Smollett & # 39; filed a fake police report claiming he was the victim of racist and homophobic punishment by an unknown attacker. & # 39;

There is, however, one blatant inconsistency in the complaint and the first police report.

& # 39;[Smollet] told the CPD officers that his primary attacker (now known as Abel) was wearing a ski mask that covered his entire face, excluding the area around his eyes, allowing the suspect to see that the attacker had white skin, & # 39, reads the complaint.

& # 39;[Smollett] made this statement despite the fact that they knew that the Osundairo brothers do not have a white complexion. & # 39;

That's not the police report that was initially filed in the case he mentioned, with the officer who spoke to Smollett who wrote: & # 39; The primary attacker was wearing a black mask that hides all facial features. & # 39;

There are also no indications that one of the suspects was white in the report submitted by the officers who first spoke with Smollett, despite the fact that the police now claim in this complaint that Smollett said this on the spot.

& # 39; By giving this false description, the defendant intentionally misled the CPD officers to believe that his attackers were white, while the defendant in fact knew that his attackers were the Osundairo brothers & # 39 ;, is the complaint.

Smollett did say that one of the attackers was white in a subsequent interview with a detective according to the police files in the case, but it was never said that he passed that claim on the spot until Thursday.