A judge today spared a pedophile from further jail time, despite telling him he “expects to see him again.”
Gary Dyer, 37, was put behind bars in 2019 for sending ‘obscene’ messages to a 14-year-old girl and her high school friend.
He walked away from Liverpool Crown Court today on a month-long curfew after breaking the terms of a three-month curfew.
Judge Stuart Driver, QC, said to him, “There is a good chance that you will get out of step.”
In 2019, Dyer was jailed for 17 months and ordered to abide by a Sexual Harm Prevention Order (SHPO) as part of which he must report all cell phones in his possession to the police.
Gary Dyer (pictured out of court today), 37, was jailed in 2019 for sending ‘obscene’ messages to a 14-year-old girl and her high school friend
Just four weeks after he was released from prison in November 2020, Dyer was back in court for keeping two secret phones.
He served the remainder of his jail sentence and received a suspended sentence and a three-month curfew, but was back at Crown Court in Liverpool today for breaking the curfew.
Martyn Walsh, who is prosecuting on behalf of probation, explained that between February 11 and 12 and February 12 and 15, Dyer was in violation of the curfew, which runs from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m.
Dyer claimed he had an argument with a roommate about an alleged theft at the earliest opportunity and left his home to go to his mother’s house.
On the second occasion, Dyer said he was looking for his daughter in Halifax because of concerns about her well-being.
Dyer, of St. Helens, Merseyside, also has a previous 2004 conviction after admitting “sexual intercourse with a girl under the age of 13”, today classified as rape, for which he was sentenced to three and a half years in prison.
When he appeared in court last November, prosecutor Tom Challinor said, “Mr. Dyer was subject to an injunction to prevent sexual harm on August 16, 2019, following a conviction for sexual communication with a child.”
Mr. Challinor explained that he was sentenced after contacting a 14-year-old and her school friend and allegedly sending ‘messages of an obscene sexual nature’.
He said, “He made several requests to send indecent images of himself and also asked that they meet.”
Mr. Challinor said: “On November 8 last year, he was released from his imprisonment under various conditions, including being run by a probation officer.”
Dyer walked away from Liverpool Crown Court today with a month’s curfew after breaking the terms of a three-month curfew
He explained that it came to the attention of the probation officer that Dyer had “ been posting on social media about a new relationship he was involved in. ”
The court heard “the lady in question had an eight-year-old daughter,” and the probation officer was concerned that Dyer might be violating the terms of his SHPO.
Police went to Dyer’s house, where they found two phones, one of which was hidden in the blankets.
Dyer was in a relationship, but the court heard that the woman’s daughter was in care and had no access to her.
In November, Dyer was sentenced to eight months in prison with an 18-month delay, along with 20 days for rehabilitation activities and curfew.
He was also commissioned to participate in the Horizon sex offender program, and Judge Andrew said, “It appears that your rehabilitation and the safety of the public will be better served if you receive intensive support from community probation services.”
Brendan Carville, defensively, told the judge that Dyer is a “man with a lot of problems.”
Judge Stuart Driver, QC, replied, “He is also a sex offender who has repeatedly broken orders.”
Sentencing, the judge said, “You’re going to get one last chance from me, but it’s really one last chance because I’m as close as I can be to send you to prison now.”
The judge said, “I think you are very likely to go too far and we will see you again and I will send you to prison.”
Dyer was given a one-month curfew for violating the terms of the Sexual Harm Prevention Order.