Judge declares mistrial in Suge Knight’s wrongful death trial
A judge has declared a mistrial in the wrongful death case against disgraced rapper Marion “Suge” Knight, who “run over a man with his pickup truck and killed him” in 2015.
Knight, 56, is already serving a 28-year sentence after pleading no contest to kill record producer Terry Carter and injuring adviser Cle ‘Bone’ Sloan by slamming his car into them outside a hamburger drive-thru in Los Angeles .
The tragedy unfolded when the three men began to argue on the set of the movie ‘Straight Outta Compton’.
Carter’s wife and two daughters filed a civil wrongful death lawsuit five months after his death in January 2015, seeking $81 million in damages from Knight.
After two weeks of deliberation, the jury announced on Tuesday that no consensus had been reached. Seven of the jurors agreed that Knight was liable for Carter’s death, while five opposed it.
In cases where the jury cannot reach a verdict, the court may “order the jury to deliberate further or declare a mistrial and dismiss the jury,” the court said. Cornell Law School† The case will be heard again.
“It was intense,” said one of the judges rolling stone about the deliberation process.
“It was so intense, someone walked past the jury room and thought there was a real fight. There was shouting.’
In court, Knight has argued that he was not negligent when he hit Carter and that he was post-traumatic at the time after being shot seven times in a nightclub in 2014.
Knight, 56, is already serving a 28-year sentence after pleading no contest to kill record producer Terry Carter and injuring adviser Cle ‘Bone’ Sloan by slamming his car into them outside a hamburger drive-thru in Los Angeles
Carter’s (pictured) wife and two daughters filed a civil wrongful death lawsuit five months after his death in January 2015, seeking $81 million in damages from Knight
Carter’s wife and two daughters argued in civil court that they each made $1 million for each of the 27 years Carter would have lived had he not been killed by Knight.
“It’s a shame, but the jury has worked very hard. It feels good to know we were the majority,” Carter’s daughter, Crystal Carter, told Rolling Stone.
“We look forward to trying the case again to get the win for my father. To get justice.’
Knight did not plead voluntary manslaughter in 2018, a downgraded charge of prior murder, attempted murder and hit and run that could have landed him in prison for life.
During the criminal trial, Knight collapsed in court, two of his former lawyers were charged with witness manipulation and his fiancée did not plead for the sale of videos of Knight hitting the two men with his truck.
He was eventually sentenced to 28 years in prison.
According to reports at the time of the hit-and-run, Knight came to the set despite being unwelcome due to a longstanding feud with Dr. Dre, who was there that day. A selection of images from the crash can be seen above
According to reports at the time of the hit-and-run, Knight appeared on the set of ‘Straight Outta Compton’ despite being unwelcome due to a long-standing feud with Dr. Dre, who was there that day.
Knight was told to leave by Sloan, who was a consultant for the film, and the couple got into an argument before Knight left.
Carter, a businessman and record producer, got involved and agreed to smooth things over, before suggesting that the men meet at a nearby burger joint for a truce.
Carter and Knight exchanged friendly words in the drive-thru parking lot before Sloan arrived and a fistfight broke out with Knight.
The feud at Tam’s Burgers on the 1200 block of West Rosecrans Avenue quickly escalated into violence.
While trying to escape, Knight flipped Sloan’s car, knocking it to the ground, before running over Carter and killing him.
Knight, who co-founded Death Row Records with Dr Dre, has always denied that he intentionally hit either man.
Knight was once a protagonist in the gangster rap scene that flourished in the 1990s
The 56-year-old was a protagonist in the gangster rap scene that blossomed in the 1990s, and his label once called Dr. Dre, Tupac Shakur and Snoop Dogg as performers.
Knight lost control of the company after it went bankrupt.
In February of this year, Snoop Dogg took over the label.
Before killing Carter, Knight had previous convictions for armed robbery and assault with a gun.
He pleaded no contest in 1995 and was sentenced to five years’ probation for assaulting two rap entertainers at a Hollywood recording studio in 1992.
He was sentenced to prison in February 1997 for violating the terms of that probation by participating in a fight at a Las Vegas hotel, hours before Shakur was fatally injured in a drive-by attack when he was driving Knight’s car. just east of the Las Vegas Strip. Shakur’s murder remains unsolved.