The personal trainer in charge of singer Rita Ora’s body has shared her workout secrets — warning that you’ll need to “work to exhaustion” if you want her sculpted physique.
When Rita, 30, arrived in Australia earlier this year, she quickly hired Jono and worked hard at the gym to keep looking lean and strong.
Scroll down for video
The Australian personal trainer behind Rita Ora’s (pictured) sculpted physique has shared her workout secrets, including focusing on one area of the body on different days of the week
Jono Castano (pictured) runs celebrity-loved Sydney gym chain Acero, bringing the likes of Candice Warner and model Megan Blake Irwin and Laura Dundovic into top shape
Jono’s tips, including recommending a combination of workouts consisting of HIIT, stretching, and recovery (Rita Ora pictured doing a full-body hang and using the hamster wheel)
Rita (pictured arriving at the gym) trains several times a week at Acero to stay in shape
“My philosophy calls for recommending a combination of workouts consisting of HIIT, stretching and recovery,” Jono told FEMAIL.
“It’s important to make sure I hit each of the three areas for a well-rounded fitness and wellness plan.”
Jono said, “For example, at Rita we can focus on HIIT cardio training in the first half of the week, then core and upper body in the middle and lower body at the end.”
In one clip, the 30-year-old completes a grueling round of twisting pulls with a resistance band,
On Jono Castano’s Instagram page, you can see Rita training in different ways.
In one clip, the 30-year-old completes a grueling round of twisting pulls with a resistance band, leg raises, hanging grab and the tough “hamster wheel move.”
This requires her to push around a gym machine while working to strengthen your arms, shoulders and core.
In another clip, Rita can be seen hanging from a machine completing weighted leg lifts with a barbell between her legs.
Every move requires working the star to exhaustion to properly tire the muscles.
While Jono recommends focusing on one area of the body each day, that doesn’t mean you can’t do moves that work on several areas at once, or try compound exercises (Rita pictured exercising)
The PT (pictured) with Rita Ora likes to tell clients to keep their heart rate above 120 beats per minute as much as possible to maximize fat burning and muscle growth
What are Jono Castano’s training secrets?
1. WORK DIFFERENT AREAS: Jono recommends setting aside different days of the week to train different parts of the body. For example, you can do the upper body in the first half of the week, mid-body and core in the middle, and lower in the last few days.
In order for the muscle to grow, you have to work to complete fatigue or exhaustion, Jono said (pictured)
2. TRY COMPOUND EXERCISES: While Jono recommends focusing on one area of the body each day, that doesn’t mean you can’t do moves that work several areas at once, or try compound exercises. The PT said compound exercises work different parts of the body at once, leading to more muscle tone. Good examples are squats, burpees and skipping.
3. THINK HOLISTICALLY: Jono said it’s important to think holistically about your health. He always recommends a combination of HIIT, stretching and recovery to his clients.
4. WORK TO EXHAUST: In order for the muscle to grow, you have to work to complete fatigue or exhaustion. Jono’s workouts consist of several “rounds” designed to exhaust the body.
5. BE CONSISTENCY: The secret to success in the gym is consistency. This means that you should get 45 minutes of exercise every day, be it at home or at the gym.
6. LOOK AT CALORIES: Jono said you have to eat right as well as exercise. Focus on calories in versus calories out and remember that you can increase your amount according to how much you’ve burned.
7. KEEP YOUR HEART RATE: Finally, Jono said keep your heart rate high if you want to see real change. He recommends keeping it at over 120 beats per minute — because this burns as many calories as possible.
Rita Ora (pictured in May) arrived Down Under in February to film the voice, and she’s stayed here for the past few months
When it comes to the secrets behind Rita’s body, Jono said his attitude is the same for all his celebrities and regulars:
“Compound moves with more muscle groups are the best for moving and strengthening fat,” he told FEMAIL.
“Because you contract more muscles, these exercises burn more calories and get the most out of your workout.”
If you want to start with compound exercises at the gym, some of the best are barbell squats, deadlifts, and the attack bike.
“When you’re at home, try squats and presses, burpees and skipping,” Jono added.
“Consistency is key – always get 45 minutes of exercise every day, at the gym or at home,” Jono said of seeing results (Rita Ora pictured on Bondi Beach)
Jono also recommends staying as motivated as possible, as you probably won’t see change right away:
“Consistency is key — get 45 minutes of exercise every day, at the gym or at home,” he said.
“Remember, the gym isn’t just about losing weight and taking care of your body, it’s also about making a change as a whole.
“I believe in whole person health, so taking care of your mind and eating right is just as important as working up a sweat.”
He added: ‘Focus on calories in versus calories out, you can account for a higher intake of calories in accordance with how much you burn’.
Jono said he tells clients including Rita Ora (pictured) to focus on calories in and calories out because you need to think holistically about your overall health
Finally, Jono said you have to believe in yourself if you want to see real change:
“Being confident is your secret weapon to make sure you stay on track,” Jono said.
“You can also try to focus on exercises that keep your heart rate above 120 beats per minute, because that will burn as many calories as possible.”
Jono Castano is a fitness expert and partner to the oral and telehealth pioneer SmileDirectClub.
SmileDirectClub research found that Ausies believe straightening their teeth would give them confidence and inspire them to make more life changes.