A teenage boy has died days after he was brutally beaten by a massive gang of bullies near a Las Vegas high school.
The attack occurred on November 1 near Rancho High School, when 17-year-old Jonathan Lewis was attacked by approximately fifteen other youths.
He is said to have been targeted after standing up for a smaller friend who had just been robbed by the mafia, a police spokesman said. GoFundMe page founded by his family/
Police officers found him around 2:05 pm that day, bleeding from the head.
The teenager was placed on life support at University Medical Center, where he died on Tuesday after doctors made several attempts to save his life.
“All I can do is hope that there is a way that can find forgiveness in their hearts and find a way to come to terms with what they have done,” said the boy’s father, also named Jonathan Lewis mentioned, about his son’s attackers. .
Jonathan Lewis, 17, died in hospital days after he was attacked by a group of about 15 other teenagers
The boy’s father, also named Jonathan Lewis, said his son confronted the group after they stole something from his friend
A chilling video posted to social media showed a group of youths standing over Jonathan’s body and kicking him as he lay on the pavement
Speak with 8NewsNow, Lewis said his son kept to himself and planned to move to Austin, Texas to be with his father.
The teen was living with his mother in Las Vegas at the time of his death.
“Violence just breeds more violence and these kids don’t even know what they’re doing half the time,” Lewis said.
In the aftermath of the teen’s death, a video circulated on social media showing the moment a fight broke out.
It shows a group of about a dozen youths kicking the 17-year-old as he lies curled up on the sidewalk.
At least two teenagers stand nearby and film the attack with their cellphones.
Lewis claimed his son stood up for a “smaller friend” who had something stolen by the group and then thrown in a trash bin.
He described his son as “courageous” and said he wanted to donate his organs to save others.
The attack occurred near Rancho High School on the afternoon of November 1. The police found Jonathan bleeding from his head
Lewis told a local news outlet that he hopes his son’s death will open a discussion about the epidemic of youth violence in Las Vegas.
No arrests have been made, but Lewis claims an investigator has assured the family that authorities plan to charge several students involved in that fight with murder.
The heartbroken father added: “I think all of humanity has simply failed to recognize that we need to teach our young people how to live together.”
Las Vegas police have launched a murder investigation.
No arrests have been made so far, but Lewis said the family has been told by investigators that they plan to charge several students in connection with murder.
Lewis created a GoFundMe page titled “Heart of a Champion Our Son,” where he posted a photo of himself holding his son’s hand at the hospital on the day of his death.
“He will always be as loved as his father, I will hold him in my heart forever, shine even brighter, love even more and work all my life to bring peace to this world,” Lewis wrote.
The 17-year-old was an aspiring artist and a devoted older brother.
“While our hearts are broken and this tragedy is absolutely absurd madness, we want to focus on our son’s legacy,” Lewis wrote.
“Jonathan was a loving, giving, kind, fierce young man who loved community and caring for others.”