Jeff Fager comes out 60 minutes after CBS reveals that he violated the sexual harassment policy, prompting the executive producer to respond that a text should not end a full career.
- A memo set for CBS employees on Wednesday afternoon revealed that Jeff Fager had been forced to resign as a 60-minute executive producer.
- "Bill Owens will lead the 60 Minutes team when Ingrid Ciprian-Matthews and I begin the search for a new executive producer of the show", read the note
- Fager's departure was not related to any of the claims made in The New Yorker, where 19 employees alleged that the harassment was tolerated in the workplace
- "They ended my contract early because I sent a text message to one of our own CBS reporters demanding that it be fair to cover the story," said Fager.
Chris Spargo for Dailymail.com
CBS continues to clean the house, with Jeff Fager following in the footsteps of Les Moonves and Charlie Rose.
The veteran executive producer of 60 Minutes was forced to resign after CBS executives knew he had violated the company's sexual harassment policy.
Fager responded by claiming that his termination had nothing to do with the accusations in a recent New Yorker story about himself and Moonves, and instead came from a text message he sent to an employee.
Tick, tock: A note set for CBS employees on Wednesday afternoon revealed that Jeff Fager had been forced to resign as executive producer of 60 Minutes (Fager up in 2017)
Great accolades: Bill Whitaker, Lesley Stahl and Fager with the Institutional Award at the 2018 Peabody Awards (above)
"Jeff Fager leaves the company in force immediately," read a memo sent to CBS staff on Wednesday afternoon.
"Bill Owens will lead the 60 Minutes team as Ingrid Ciprian-Matthews and I started the search for a new executive producer of the program."
That memo went on to say: "60 minutes is the most important news broadcast on television. We are fortunate to have incredibly talented journalists who we know will continue to deliver our defining research work. "
Shortly after the outlets began to hear the news of Fager's departure, he released a statement of his own, in the light of which CBS News declined to comment on his specific violation.
The company's decision had nothing to do with the false accusations printed in The New Yorker, "said Fager.
"Instead, they canceled my contract ahead of time because I sent a text message to one of our own CBS reporters demanding that it be fair to cover the story." My language was harsh and, although journalists are harshly demanding impartiality all the time, CBS did not like it. "
He added: "A note of that kind should not lead to termination after 36 years, but it did."
The president of CBS News, David Rhodes, confirmed part of this also in his memorandum, writing: "This action today is not directly related to the complaints published in the press reports, which continue to be investigated independently & # 39;
Then it was noted: "However, it violated the company's policy and it is our commitment to maintain those policies at all levels."