Jaylen Brown hints he could LEAVE the Boston Celtics – despite being eligible for a $295 MILLION deal – after the Miami Heat Game 7 loss as he admits: ‘I expected to win today…i failed”
Jaylen Brown refused to rule out leaving the Celtics after their Game 7 loss to the Miami Heat on Monday night.
Brown and the Celtics had a chance to make game history, coming back from 3-0 down to tie the series 3-3, with Game 7 in Boston.
And yet, they still couldn’t do it.
Brown, 26, was asked about his future in Boston after the game and he didn’t confirm he would stay.
“I expected to win tonight and move on,” he said, in response to whether he had thought about his future.
“That’s what I focused on and that’s what I focused on. We failed, I failed and it’s hard to focus on anything else right now. We’ll cross that bridge when we get there.
Brown was the Celtics’ leading scorer with 19 points, but his team was soundly beaten 103-84 by Miami.
Brown’s comments, 26, are particularly stark considering he is eligible for a five-year, $295 million deal after making an All-NBA team earlier in May.
Celtics coach Joe Mazzulla meanwhile praised his team’s spirit after a 3-0 battle to take them to Game 7 against Miami.
“It’s one of the best locker rooms I’ve been in,” Mazzulla said. “Guys cared. They gave him everything they had.
“That’s the most important thing to take away from this. Obviously we didn’t achieve our goal. We didn’t win, that was our goal. So we failed in that regard, but it’s not because the guys didn’t have a sense of unity, character and who they are as people.
“They need to know – when we were down 3-0 the issue was how do we want to be defined?
“I think they’ve shown a lot of character even getting to this point.”