Champion jockey Jamie Kah and three other riders ‘caught breaking Melbourne’s Covid lockdown for rowdy Airbnb party’ – after police were ‘tipped off by estranged partner’
- Four jockeys, including top rider Jamie Kah, have been fined for Covid violation
- The jockeys are breaking Melbourne curfew and outside a 5km radius
- Police were reportedly called home after being tipped off by an estranged partner
Four jockeys, including top rider Jamie Kah, have been fined for violating Victoria’s lockdown restrictions by staying at a Mornington Airbnb.
Jamie Kah, Ethan Brown, Ben Melham and apprentice jockey Celine Gaudray were at an Airbnb with two other people on Wednesday night.
Police were called to the Tallis Drive property just before midnight over a noise complaint, allegedly following a tip from an estranged partner of one of the jockeys.
“On arrival, officers found six people, all reportedly outside their three-mile radius and in violation of the curfew,” the Victoria Police Department said in a statement.
They were each fined $5,452 for violating the Chief Health Officer’s directions.
The four jockeys, who are all isolated, will be out for 14 days, meaning Kah and Melham will not be racing Group 1 Memsie Stakes favorites Behemoth and Beau Rossa at Melbourne’s Caulfield Racecourse on Saturday.
Champion jockey Jamie Kah (left) and three other riders including apprentice Celine Gaudray (right) have been fined for breaking Melbourne’s lockdown for an Airbnb party
The four jockeys were all outside their 5km radius, violating Melbourne’s curfew when they were found at an Airbnb in Mornington Peninsula (stock above), police claim
Racing Victoria CEO Giles Thompson has issued a statement condemning their actions leading up to the Spring Racing Carnival.
“These individuals could have endangered the very survival of our sport and also blatantly ignored the wider community implications through their selfish and thoughtless actions,” he said.
He warned that the alleged breaches did not match the rest of the industry, which was working hard to comply.
“To see all of that potentially thrown away by the reckless behavior of a small number is incredibly disappointing and far from what is expected of our industry participants,” he said.
He also warned of the “critical need” for the industry to follow COVID-19 guidelines ahead of the Spring Racing Carnival.
The four have also been charged with not following the directions of the race stewards and the investigation into the incident continues Friday morning.
Jockey Ben Melham will not race in Group 1 Memsie Stakes favorite Beau Rossa at Melbourne’s Caulfield Racecourse on Saturday
RV stewards found that the jockeys had violated the state government’s home orders, and thereby the race agency’s requirements.
The jockeys have been banned from race meetings and licensed venues for at least two weeks, and until they are approved by the stewards and negative COVID-19 tests are provided.
Victoria’s Health Secretary Martin Foley criticized the jockeys for the alleged infringement.
“We are all bitterly disappointed. We are always disappointed when people don’t follow the rules and we understand that Racing Victoria will take immediate action and take more action and send out a strong signal,” he said on Friday.
Racing Victoria says more than 750 race meetings have been held safely since the start of the pandemic.
Last year’s Melbourne Cup Carnival was held without spectators at the usually packed Flemington Racecourse.
Ethan Brown was one of four jockeys to resign 14 days after alleged Covid breach