Israeli forces discover Hezbollah's largest tunnel, the militant, completing their operation to find and destroy them all after a month of searching
- The operation had raised concerns that Hezbollah, who is based in Lebanon, would respond
- The military said six tunnels had been discovered since the operation was launched
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu noted the tunnel operation on Sunday
Bhvishya Patel for mailonline
Israel has said that it has uncovered all cross-border attack tunnels dug by Hezbollah from Lebanon and will carry out the operation to find and destroy them after more than a month.
The operation, which began on December 4, had raised concerns that Hezbollah, the Lebanese-based Shia group and enemy of Israel, would respond and stir up a new conflict between them, but the boundary has remained calm all the time.
An Israeli military spokesman declined to say how many tunnels had been discovered in total, but the military has announced six since the operation was launched.
The last tunnel was on Saturday, the army said.
Israeli forces have discovered all cross-border tunnels dug out of Lebanon by Hezbollah. (Stock image)
& # 39; We have found another Hezbollah tunnel for cross-border attacks, from Lebanon to Israel, & # 39; said Lieutenant Colonel Jonathan Conricus to reporters.
& # 39; According to our intelligence and our assessment of the situation, there are no more cross-border tunnels from Lebanon to Israel.
The newest tunnel started in the Lebanese village of Ramyeh, about 800 meters from Israel, the army said.
He reached a few tens of meters Israel and 55 meters below ground was the deepest and also the tallest and most detailed & # 39; of all the tunnels that the army exposed, Conricus said.
The army said his discovery marked the end of the operation that the Northern Shield & # 39; was mentioned and that the final tunnel will be destroyed in the coming days.
The tunnels are destroyed with explosives or by filling them with a cement-like material to make them unusable.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu summed up the tunnel operation on Sunday when he thanked Eisenkot for his 40 years of military service
Conricus said that there were no more tunnels that reached Israel from Lebanon, but the army still guarded facilities & # 39; which were dug by Hezbollah in Lebanese territory.
& # 39; We have reached the goal (to expose and destroy the tunnels from Lebanon) that we wanted to reach in the beginning, & # 39; said Conricus.
He also reiterated that Israel holds the Lebanese government responsible for any act of violence or violation of 1701 & # 39 ;, the UN resolution that ended the 2006 war between Israel and Hezbollah.
UNIFIL, the UN peacekeeping force in Lebanon, was aware of the latest tunnel, Conricus said.
Israel claims that Hezbollah was planning to use the tunnels to abduct or kill its civilians or soldiers, and to capture part of Israeli territory in the case of hostilities. However, it said that they were not yet operational.
A one-month war in 2006 between Israel and Hezbollah killed more than 1,200 Lebanese, mostly civilians, and more than 160 Israelis, mostly soldiers.
Israel says that all anti-tunnel operations have taken place on its territory, and the highly publicized mission has continued without drawing a military response from Hezbollah.
The announcement that the operation will end comes as Chief of Staff Gadi Eisenkot deducts at the end of his term of office.
Israeli analysts see the operation as one of the important achievements of Eisenkot.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu summed up the tunnel operation on Sunday when he thanked Eisenkot for his 40 years of military service, including the last four as chief of staff.