An alleged criminal accused of bashen strangers along a beach on the inside of Melbourne, remains free in the community after being released on bail.
Mechac Mukanu, 18, is accused of bashing a stranger with a stick in an unprovoked attack in trendy St Kilda, just outside of Melbourne, in December last year.
The alleged gang member was locked up after shocking footage was released with a crowd of African youth, including allegedly Mukanu, repeatedly stomping on three men before robbing them.
Mechac Mukanu, 18, runs free weeks from Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday after being released by a magistrate
Police resisted bail for Mukanu (right) with concerns that he could again accuse if he was released from custody
It is claimed that Mukanu, 18 years old, hit a man with a stretchable baton in an unprovoked attack on the St Kilda coast on December 1
His release from prison comes in the midst of a mini-crime wave in Melbourne that has terrorized ordinary civilians who are just taking their course.
On Sunday, a group of African youth terrorized Woolworth employees and clients in Lyndhurst, southeast of Melbourne, attacking one of them with a baseball bat.
Shocking video images were recorded when a group of young people in dark hoodies caused chaos in the supermarket.
Then, Tuesday night, a 33-year-old Sandhurst man – also in southeast Melbourne – was woken up to find a group of African men in his house.
They set off with his BMW SUV.
Both groups of men remain free.
Mukanu is faced with six counts of unlawful assault, two counts of torments and some counts of intentional injury, reckless injury and financial gain through deception.
The teenager was secretly released from prison two weeks ago after being given bail.
On Sunday, a group of African youth terrorized Woolworth employees and clients in Lyndhurst, southeast of Melbourne, attacking one of them with a baseball bat
Mechac Mukanu, 18, accused of bashing a stranger with a stick in an unprovoked attack in trendy St Kilda
He appeared on Wednesday at the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court where his cases were postponed until next month.
The alleged gangster put on a hoodie and quickly left the court.
According to police, Mukanu struck a man with a long metal baton for the first time during a group fight against two men at 10.45 am on December 1.
Reportedly, a group of his friends set up the couple and continued to beat them.
Only 15 minutes later, police claim that Mukanu and a group of about 15 friends had beaten three men and kicked in a new unprovoked attack.
At a previous hearing, senior police officer Nathan Sheppard said that both attacks had not been triggered and that the victims felt “sick and painful and compassionate about themselves.”
CCTV recordings, of which Inspector Senior Constable Sheppard said they were “crystal clear” and showed that Mukanu was wearing a clear white T-shirt, recorded the entire fight.
The three men were beaten unconscious and then robbed by the gang.
The group is said to have fled the scene, but Mukanu reported himself after the police had publicly released images of suspects in the alleged attack.
The court heard that Makunu would have told the police that he had attacked one of the men because he had attacked one of his friends.
“I believe that a bad person can become a good person … life can change,” said church pastor and stepfather of Mukanu, Richard Mabiala (photo)
Mechac Mukanu (photo) remains free in the community after a magistrate has granted him bail
The police had opposed the bail of the criminal because of the concern that he was a danger to the public, would insult if he was released, contacting witnesses and not abiding by the bail conditions.
“He poses a significant danger to the public that cannot be limited,” said Inspector Senior Constable Sheppard.
Mukanu’s stepfather, pastor of the Pentecostal church Richard Mabiala, testified on that bail where he insisted that his stepson be a good boy.
“No one can be happy to see your son doing wrong things, you can’t be happy about that, so it’s a disappointment,” Paster Mabiala told Nine News.
“But Mechac is a good boy. I believe that a bad person can become a good person … change life. “
The court heard that the police also sued a 17-year-old for the alleged attack and was looking for several other suspects.
Mechac will appear in court next month.