Elite ice hockey players and teenagers are among dozens hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning after a leak at an ice rink.
Most of the victims had attended or played in an Australian Women’s Ice Hockey League game between the Melbourne Ice and local team Adelaide Rush at Thebarton Stadium on Saturday afternoon when they were rushed to hospital.
The court was also used by the public before the match.
Fire crews were called to the scene later that night, where they detected “high levels” of carbon monoxide in atmospheric tests and had to use rented pressure fans and ventilation to clear it.
The venue has since revealed that a failure in the zamboni, a machine used to smooth the ice before the game, was responsible for the leak.
Most of the victims had attended or played in an Australian Women’s Ice Hockey League match between the Melbourne Ice and local team Adelaide Rush (pictured) at Thebarton Stadium on Saturday afternoon when they were rushed to the hospital.
Fire crews (pictured) were called around the ice rink, where they detected carbon monoxide and used rented pressure fans and ventilation to clear it.
“Some carbon monoxide was discovered and it appears to be coming from the Zamboni,” manager Richard Laidlaw said. The advertiser.
“That machine is immediately out of service, but we have a backup machine.”
The zamboni has since been taken out of service.
The ice rink was closed on Sunday but is expected to reopen on Monday.
It is understood that players from both teams began to fall ill midway through the match.
“During the match, which started at 4.45pm local time, many players from the Melbourne Ice and Rush teams became ill,” an Ice Hockey Australia spokesperson said.
“Players from both teams were taken to the Royal Adelaide Hospital showing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.”
‘Our thoughts are with all those affected. We wish all those affected a speedy recovery.
“We understand that authorities are working with the location to fully investigate the incident.”
South Australia Health has reported that 38 people aged between 17 and 40 attended hospital in the early hours of Sunday morning with a range of symptoms including headaches, fatigue, dizziness and nausea.
All patients are in stable condition and are expected to make a full recovery.
Professor Nicola Spurrier, SA Health’s director of public health, said some patients required oxygen therapy.
Venue manager Richard Laidlaw revealed that the fault for the leak was the failure of the Zamboni, a machine used to smooth the ice before the game (pictured: the Zamboni in action at half-time).
Anyone who experiences symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning after visiting the ice skating rink should seek medical assistance.
“Anyone still experiencing symptoms should seek a medical review today,” Professor Spurrier said in a statement.
“Pregnant people and very young babies are advised to come in for a checkup today regardless of symptoms.”
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, tiredness, nausea and, in more severe cases, difficulty breathing.
Young children, pregnant people, older people, and people with chronic illnesses such as heart and lung disease are at increased risk for health effects from carbon monoxide poisoning.
The venue was closed on Sunday but is expected to reopen on Monday.