Bangladesh captain Shakib Al Hasan is banned from all cricket for TWO YEARS after admitting three anti-corruption charges, months after starring in the World Cup
- Bangladesh captain Shakib Al Hasan has been banned from cricket for two years
- He has had 12 months suspended after accepting three anti-corruption charges
- Shakib will be free to return on October 29, 2020 if certain conditions are met
- The 32-year-old was a standout player during this year’s Cricket World Cup
Bangladesh captain Shakib Al Hasan has been banned from all cricket for two years, with 12 months suspended, by the International Cricket Council after accepting three anti-corruption charges.
The charges cover not reporting approaches in relation to the Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe Tri-Series during 2018 as well as the Indian Premier League.
The ICC confirmed if Shakib satisfied the conditions of the suspended part of the sanction, he would be free to resume international cricket on October 29, 2020.
Bangladesh captain Shakib Al Hasan has been banned from all forms of cricket for two years
He has had 12 months of his ban suspended after accepting three anti-corruption charges
Shakib said in a statement: ‘I am obviously extremely sad to have been banned from the game I love, but I completely accept my sanction for not reporting the approaches.
‘The ICC ACU (anti-corruption unit) is reliant on players to play a central part in the fight against corruption and I didn’t do my duty in this instance.
‘Like the majority of players and fans around the world, I want cricket to be a corruption free sport and I am looking forward to working with the ICC ACU team to support their education programme and ensure young players don’t make the same mistake I did.’
Bangladesh are set to tour India in November, with an announcement of the Test squad yet to be confirmed.
Shakib, 32, had missed Bangladesh training sessions over the past few days, with no official reason given for his absence.
Shakib was one of the tournament’s standout players during this summer’s Cricket World Cup
The Twenty20 squad was set to leave this week ahead of an opening match in Delhi on November 3.
Earlier this summer, Shakib became the only player in World Cup history to make 600 runs and claim 10 wickets in the same tournament.
ICC’s anti-corruption general manager Alex Marshall maintained responsibility rested with Shakib for not reporting the matter.
‘Shakib Al Hasan is a highly experienced international cricketer. He has attended many education sessions and knows his obligations under the code. He should have reported each of these approaches,’ Marshall said in a statement.
‘Shakib has accepted his errors and co-operated fully with the investigation. He has offered to assist the Integrity Unit in future education, to help younger players to learn from his mistakes. I am happy to accept this offer.’