More than 70 British tourists say they were attacked by a parasitic infection at a four-star hotel and were so sick they vomited blood.
All affected tourists stayed at the Aqua Mirage Hotel in Marrakech, Morocco, during the summer and fall of 2022.
Guests reported pool bathroom stalls were covered in diarrhea and vomit after many were diagnosed with E. coli, salmonella and cryptosporidium.
Among those affected were Chelsea Hagan, 29, and her daughter Darcey, 6, from Anglesey, North Wales.
Chelsea began vomiting blood and was taken to the hospital where she was diagnosed with cryptosporidium, a parasitic infection commonly transmitted to humans through contaminated water.
A year later, Chelsea, a painter and decorator in training, still suffers from diarrhea and mild gastritis, which is inflammation of the stomach.
Chelsea Hagan (29) and her daughter Darcey (6), from North Wales, vomited blood after contracting a parasitic infection at a four-star hotel in Morocco.
Sarita Sharma, an international serious injury lawyer at Irwin Mitchell who is representing the group, including Chelsea and Darcey, said: “The first-hand account we have heard from Chelsea of her illness and the similar symptoms suffered by Darcey and others is deeply concerning. .
‘Chelsea was diagnosed with cryptosporidium following hospital tests, and what is particularly worrying is that she is still affected by her illness a year later.
‘Chelsea and Darcey are just two of the more than 70 people who stayed at this hotel during the summer and fall of 2022 and suffered from gastric illness.
‘Others we represent suffered from diseases such as cryptosporidium, e.coli, campylobacter and salmonella, all of which can have long-term health impacts.
‘It is understandable that our customers continue to have questions and concerns about what happened to them.
Chelsea (pictured) was admitted to hospital after her condition worsened.
‘We are now investigating those concerns to give them the answers they deserve.
‘If during the course of our investigations any problems are identified, vital lessons are learned and other travelers are spared the suffering and distress that holiday illness and its impact can cause.
“As part of our ongoing investigations, we are still interested to hear from anyone who stayed at the Aqua Mirage Hotel last year and suffered similar symptoms.”
Chelsea and Darcey’s holiday, booked through TUI UK Ltd, took place between September 9 and 16, 2022.
The day they returned to the UK, Darcey fell ill with gastric symptoms including diarrhea and vomiting.
Chelsea took her to the GP on two occasions. During the second appointment she was referred to the hospital.
Darcy has recovered and is in better condition, but Chelsea has ongoing health problems.
Chelsea’s illness began around September 24. He suffered diarrhea, headaches, fatigue and stomach pain.
When she also started vomiting blood, Chelsea called NHS 111 and was advised to attend A&E.
Darcey’s symptoms subsided around October 7, however, Chelsea has ongoing health issues.
Chelsea said: “When Darcey started getting sick, I thought maybe it was because of the holiday heat, but after a few days I ended up taking her to the hospital because she wasn’t getting better.” It was horrible to see my little girl so sick.
“Then I got sick and I couldn’t believe how sick I got. She had never felt a stomach ache like this. I spent almost a day in the hospital vomiting. It was horrible.
‘Finding out I had a gastric infection was a huge shock and not something you expect right after returning from holiday.
‘However, when I think back, I can remember that the hygiene standards at the resort were not what I would consider excellent.
‘I remember raw meat being placed next to cooked meat and people picking at the food with their hands.
‘At one point, one of the poolside bathrooms was covered in diarrhea and vomit; That was disgusting.
‘It’s been almost a year and I’m still not 100 percent. While I know there is nothing I can do to change what we’ve been through, I want some answers. I feel like it’s the least we deserve.”