How To Turn Your Longboard into An Electric Longboard
Are you planning to convert your current longboard into an electric longboard? What are the parts involved, and how can you get them?
If these are your concerns, then you are at the right place. This article explains the DIY electric longboard conversion. Plus, it also throws light on the materials required in converting it into an electric longboard.
Let’s check it out!
How Fast Does an Electric Longboard Go?
If you are a rider who is looking for speed, then you are at the right place.
This article will throw light on the speed of an electric longboard.
So you can enjoy distances at a quicker pace.
Electric skateboards are faster than simple skateboards due to their motorized mechanism. Electric longboards are faster than other types of skateboards in terms of size. Therefore, electric longboards are a good choice for riders who want speeds. They make it possible to cover long distances at a smoother pace. You can speed up or slow down using a remote control.
Cool! But how fast can you really go with the electric longboards?
To answer this question, I have composed this article for you. So without wasting further time, let us dive into the rushing waves!
What Makes Electric Longboards Fast
Even the normal longboards are the faster type of simple skateboards due to their structure. Therefore, electric longboards stand out among other sorts of skateboards. There are various factors in the construction of these skateboards that make them fast.
- Mechanical Hardware: Electric-longboards have larger wheels which are also very soft. Plus their bearings are of high quality. These factors make them cover distances with higher speed ranges.
- Electronic Hardware: Electric longboards are equipped with motors, batteries, and controllers. These devices affect the speed according to their power. Powerful motors will drive your skateboards more efficiently. On the other hand, controllers construct a channel between all the devices in the mechanism. Powerful controllers will thus enhance your skateboard’s output. Furthermore, batteries must also be powerful enough to provide voltage to drive. Most importantly, the three parts must be compatible and also fit with the other devices for a smooth performance.
So these are some construction parameters you would like to look for if you want to select the best type of longboard for yourself.
An average of the speeds an electric longboard can reach is around 20mph to 28mph. However, the slowest of the electric longboards can reach only 8 to 9mph. Moreover, some of the electric longboards even go beyond 50mph. The fastest longboards have even the record of matching speed of a cheetah. For example, NGV Next board has set a Guinness World Record of reaching a speed of 68mph!
Now that is some speed!
Electric longboards sure are one handy vehicle, thanks to their high speed. But what makes them so fast. what are the features of longboards that make them faster than a normal skateboard?
Parts Required to Convert
The difference between an electric longboard and a mechanical longboard is the electrical hardware used to drive the electric longboards. So for converting a longboard into an electric longboard, you require electrical parts. These electrical parts are listed:
- Battery charger-discharger
- AC adapter
- Power Adapter
- Brushless power system
- LiPo pack
- Remote control
- Motor mount
- Wire connectors
- Electronic housing tools
So these were the parts you require for the conversion. Another important fact is that these parts are available as a DIY kit in the markets such as Amazon. You can directly buy from there and use them to construct your electric longboard. If you prefer buying these parts separately rather than the collective kit, then there is one thing you will need to be careful of. It is the compatibility of all the parts involved. This will affect the overall smoothness of your device and avoid any bad experience.
After you have acquired all these parts, the next thing you need to do is start with the construction. Here are some steps you have to follow to get to your target:
- Attach your motor mount on the rear side of your skateboard. Motors are attached to the rear wheels.
- Connect a pulley to your wheels.
- Attach the motor. Connect a pulley to the motor. Run the belt through the pulleys attached to the wheels and the motor shaft. It will allow the motors to spin the wheel.
- Connect the batteries and the Controller.
- Place a casing for protection and appearance.
These were the steps involved in building an electric longboard from a simple longboard.
Last But Not the Least
An electric-longboard is a type of electric skateboard that is larger in size, smoother and faster. They are a good choice for riders who want high speeds. You might want to study the parts before selecting one for you for a better experience. See you with my next article.
So now you know about the parts required in constructing an electric longboard from a simple longboard and also the necessary steps involved in doing so. There are different marketplaces for you to shop for these parts. Online markets are a convenient way to get them. You can also buy complete kits with all the necessary things involved. Happy Constructing!