What should you do if you need to get rid of a whole car? Well, you have options. If your vehicle is in bearable condition, you can resell it. However, if your car is too old to interest buyers, you can opt for car disposal. How to do it with no hustle—read in our article.
Let’s be honest, it is not so easy to get rid of old, rusty, and worn-out vehicles. But it’s real: you can scrap your car and earn money.
Car disposal is a kind of controlled destruction. Employees of recycling points disassemble cars, sort the materials, and send them for further recycling. Disposing of an old car sitting in the garage saves you money and contributes to ecology. In addition, after a car is destroyed, it can be taken off the registry, and the owner stops paying vehicle tax.
When Is Car Scraping the Best Choice?
There are several situations when it’s much more reasonable to scrap your car:
- It is impractical to repair your vehicle. This is often the case with old cars: the investment in repairs significantly exceeds their market value. Consequently, it’s easier to get rid of the car than to try to fix it.
- It is impossible to sell the car. It is challenging to find buyers for old cars of simple, not collectible models.
- Your car has been seriously damaged in an accident. If the car is not insured and there is no accident culprit, you will have to pay for repairs. Sometimes the restoration work is so expensive that it is easier to get rid of the car.
- If you leave your old car parked in the yard, you will have to pay the transportation tax on it even if the car is not on the road. To avoid the tax, scrap your car. In addition, there is a way to get cash for junk cars.
Disposing of Old Vehicles: Ways and Complexities
Removing and scrapping a car is not the only option for discarding old vehicles. Depending on their preferences and capabilities, car owners can choose the following ways:
- Car owners can post ads in newspapers or online boards in hopes of selling the car and reassigning it to another buyer. Prices can vary greatly, but in most cases, the value of the vehicles is minimal.
- Also, some companies accept old cars as payment for a new vehicle.
- You can turn your car in for scrapping or selling it independently for parts. In both ways, your only task is to find a reliable junk car buyer like JunkCarsUs.
- The main risk for car owners is that scammers can potentially use the body and engine plates. Therefore, selling an old car for scrap should be accompanied by the removal of the vehicle from the tax registration. When choosing a company that provides junk car pick-up service, it is best to give preference to reliable and trusted organizations with an impeccable reputation, even if the conditions of the car are less favorable than the average on the market.
How to Scrap Your Car
Step 1: Collect documents
To dispose of a car and deregister it, you will need:
- Passport of the car owner;
- Certificate of registration;
- Registration plates with the number of the car—if you want, you can keep the number to register another car under it;
The car junking company issues a disposal certificate.
Step 2: Contact a junk car buyer or a salvage yard
Both public and private companies can provide car scrapping. For example, if a car is ancient or has been seriously damaged in an accident, you can take it to the salvage yard. Some companies will pick up your vehicle and bring it to you for disposal for a fee. Note that JunkCarsUs will tow your car for free in any state.
When choosing a company, pay attention to the following points:
- The company has a license to collect, transport, process, dispose of, neutralize, and place waste. Companies usually publish information about the permit on their websites.
- The location of the company and its proximity to the location of your car. The farther away from the company, the more expensive transportation will be if the car is not on the road (if the company charges for a car pick-up).
- The cost of recycling. The companies set the rates themselves, so they differ from company to company.
Step 3: Apply for deregistration of the car
With the application, you need to bring the scrapping certificate and the registration plates. Without the certificate, the car will not be taken off the register.
How to Scrap a Car for Parts
First, you can take the vehicle into parts: sell some of them, e.g., the engine and gearbox, and discard the rest. In this case, the procedure is more complicated.
You should decide which parts you will keep and which you want to scrap; write them in the application for deregistration and an explanatory note, disassemble them, and present them for inspection. If such parts have identification numbers, they will be mentioned in a special certificate for the released number unit. You will not be able to sell the details legally without it. After that, you can take the needed parts out of the car and bring the car to a recycling station.
Don’t forget about the certificate for the released serial number unit. Without it, you cannot legally sell parts left after scrapping the car.
How to Correctly Dispose of a Car for Scrap Metal and Get More Money for It
We are talking about reception points of ferrous and non-ferrous metals. However, it should be done in adherence to specific rules. To avoid problems with the authorities, it is required to pass the car to the organization for the reception of scrap metal to obtain corresponding documentary confirmation of the disposal of the vehicle.
To scrap a car more profitable, you should remove the parts that the car owner can still use or sell for good money before sending it to pitch. We are talking about electronics, radio, telecommunications equipment, headlights, a navigator.
- It is forbidden to dismantle license plate units, since the vehicle will not be recycled without them. The engine is not included in this list.
- The average weight of a passenger car is 1 ton. Experts at the collection point assess the integrity of the vehicle. Then the importance of such elements as glass, rubber, interior contents of the cabin is deducted from its weight. In this case, the nominal weight is reduced by thirty percent.
If you take advantage of this scheme and choose the most trustworthy and proven organization as a disposal company, it is practically impossible to get caught in fraudulent schemes and get in trouble with the law. The cost of the vehicle, in most cases, is minimal. Still, the additional advantages will be the absence of annual taxes, the release of space in the garage or parking lot, respectively no extra worries and problems.