How to save a fortune on your iPhone – by ticking one simple setting
- Some popular apps are free to download, but upgrades can cost £200 a year
- Unless you’re super organized, you might end up paying for services you no longer use
- Fortunately, Apple makes it easy to check your subscriptions – here’s how you do it…
Have you ever used your iPhone to make in-app purchases or signed up for premium platforms? Were you one of the many Apple users who downloaded the free Magic Tiles 3: Piano Game app on your phone?
It’s easy to sign up for these services – and they’re great if you use them regularly – but unless you’re super organized, you could be paying hundreds of dollars a year for services you might not use anymore.
For example, while the Magic Tiles app is free to download, upgrading to the VIP version costs £3.99 per week or £207 per year.
Upgrades to the VIP version of the Magic Tiles app can cost over £200 per year
Fortunately, Apple makes it really easy to check what subscriptions you have and cancel anything you don’t want anymore.
Here’s how to check your subscriptions and how much you pay each month.
• Unlock your iPhone and tap Settings
• Select your profile (you can find it at the very top of the Settings list)
• From here you will see another menu list including the Subscriptions option.
• After loading, you will now get a full list of services and in-app purchases you subscribe to.
• If you see one you no longer use, tap it and click the cancel option.
It’s worth noting that you’ll continue to have access to the new billing date, but after cancellation you should save money on the next month’s bill.
Besides canceling some subscriptions, there is another way to save some money.
If you use a lot of different Apple services, such as Apple Music, Fitness+ and Apple TV+, it’s worth switching to an Apple One account. These plans bundle into a number of platforms for a lower price.
It’s worth checking your iPhone plans as they can save you hundreds of dollars a year
For example, signing up for the Apple One Individual plan costs £16.95 and saves £7 off the usual price.
This subscription includes access to iCloud storage, Apple TV+, Apple Music, and Apple Arcade. There’s also the same plan available with family member access for £22.95 – a saving of £9 per month.
Finally, those who want the best of everything can sign up for Apple’s Premier plan, which adds Apple Fitness+ and Apple News+.
This costs £32.95 – that’s a saving of £23 compared to signing up for each service individually.
If you haven’t checked your subscriptions in a while, it’s worth taking a look. The whole process can be done in minutes and it is surprising what you signed up for.