Even the best of us can occasionally misplace an item. Even something like the Apple Watch, which is usually secure on your wrist, can be lost. You come home from a run, take your watch off and drop it – somewhere in the living room. The band comes loose while you watch the latest Marvel film and walk out without the theater. Your three-year-old decides it might be fun to play with your watch for a few minutes and then leave it under a pile of hugs.
What are you doing?
Fortunately, the app & # 39; Find my & # 39; works from Apple both with your watch and with your iPhone – even better, because you can use your iPhone to find your running watch.
- Go to the Watch app on your phone. (You can also go there by tapping the & # 39; Find My & # 39; app and choosing your watch from the device list.)
- Tap the name of your watch
- Tap the information circle to the right of the watch name / photo
- Tap "Find My Apple Watch". (If this is the first time you are using the feature, you may be asked to turn on "Send last location", which means that the last known location of your watch will be stored up to 24 hours after the battery runs out.)
The following page has a map with the location of your watch and various options for finding your device.
- If the watch is somewhere nearby (for example, if you have lost it somewhere in your house), you can play & # 39; Play & # 39; to make it play louder and louder. (It will also tap your wrist, in case you forget you are wearing it.) You can then turn off the sound using the watch as soon as you find it.
- You can request a route description to the current (or last) location.
- You can mark the phone as lost. When you do that, you will be guided through a series of screens in which you can set a lost watch access code, set a phone number (if you want) so that you can be notified when it is found and make a message ("Call me if you find this watch "). Once the feature is activated, the watch is locked and anyone can find it without the access code.
- If the phone is marked as lost, you will be taken to the & # 39; Mark as lost & # 39; tapping the & # 39; Lost Mode & # 39; page, which allows you to receive email updates or & # 39; Mark as Lost & # 39; can turn off.
- Finally, if you are sure the watch has been stolen, tap & # 39; Delete this device & # 39 ;. You will see a screen asking if you want to delete the device and warn you that a deleted watch can no longer be followed. However, you can still open an optional phone number screen (such as when you marked it as lost) and a message for someone to restore it.
Vox Media has affiliated partnerships. These do not affect editorial content, although Vox Media can earn commissions for products purchased through affiliate links. See for more information our ethical policy.