Leather minimalist wallets come in various styles and are perfect accessories for storing documents and cards with great value. But no matter how durable or cool they seem, the wallets can start looking worn or dirty over time. And that’s something that you may not want to see, do you? Knowing how to clean a leather minimalist wallet will keep the accessory looking good and preserve for years. Just follow this simple step to make your wallet sparkling clean.
- What you need
For a regular leather wallet, you must have the following cleaning materials. However, if the wallet is made of suede, be sure to check our post on how to clean a suede minimalist wallet.
- Warm water
- A sponge or soft cloth
- Dish soap
- Dry towel
- Empty the wallet of all documents and cards
- Make a solution of warm water and dish soap
- Dip the sponge or soft cloth into the solution
- Wring the sponge or soft cloth to remove the excess solution
- Hold the wallet with one hand and use the other hand to wipe the interiors, then exterior surfaces. Make sure to remove all the water stains and scuffs before proceeding to the next step
- Dry the wallet with a towel
- How to clean a greased leather wallet
Sometimes, your wallet can get dirty from oil stains, nail polish, and ink. If that is the case:
- Dip a cotton swab in a solution of rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover. Lightly blot the area under the stain. Make sure not to spread the nail polish further. Once the stain is blotted, use a damp sponge over the spot and dry with a towel.
- In the case of oil or grease, sprinkle cornstarch, or baking soda over the affected area. Use a damp cloth to rub the spot. Rest the wallet overnight to allow the soda or cornstarch to absorb the stain. Use a soft cloth to wipe off the area.
- In case the stain does not chip off even after applying the two methods above, use a mild- bleaching agent such as tartar or lemon juice. Carefully spread the bleaching agent over the stained spot. Rest the wallet for thirty minutes. Using a damp cloth, remove the paste.
- Prevent the leather from cracking
Leather wallets crack regularly after cleaning with water. If you wash regularly, you will realize that the wallet becomes hard to bend and even ugly. It is, therefore, necessary to take some precautionary measures to maintain its efficiency and functionality.
- Apply a mixture of vinegar and linseed oil
Form a solution of 1 part vinegar and 2 Parts Linseed Oil. Dip a sponge into the solution. Use the damp sponge over the surfaces of your wallet that you’ve cleaned and sit the wallet for 15 minutes. Finally, buff the wallet with a soft cloth until it shines.
- Apply leather conditioners
Each leather wallet has a recommended conditioner that shines and prevents its surfaces from drying out, cracking, or attracting stains in the future. Check with the manufacturer the ideal conditioner for your wallet. Then apply the conditioner evenly over the wallet and rest it for about five minutes. Then use a towel to dry the wallet.
Cleaning a leather wallet is a simple task that should not take your time to complete. But remember to keep one element in mind: timing. If you want the minimalist wallet to last you longer, make sure to clean it immediately it is greased or soiled. Only then will you minimize the risks of bleaching the stained surfaces.