<pre><pre>How the Saudi narrative of Khashoggi's murder changed | Saudi Arabia News

The Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, a Washington Post columnist who wrote critically of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (MBS), He entered the Saudi Arabian consulate in Istanbul on October 2. It was not seen since then.

After remaining silent and denying allegations that Khashoggi never left the consulate, Saudi Arabia has now admitted that Khashoggi was killed inside the consulate, but did not mention where his body is.

Below is a summary of how Saudi Arabia's narrative on the circumstances of Khashogui's death changed over the weeks as international pressure increased.

October 2nd

Khashoggi entered the Saudi Arabian consulate in Istanbul to collect a document certifying that he divorced his ex-wife to be able to remarry while his fiancé, Hatice Cengiz, He waited outside.

After waiting three hours, her fiancé asked the consulate staff about his whereabouts. He was told that Khashoggi had already left the building through the back door.

October 5th

In an interview with Bloomberg, MBS says that Khashoggi left after "a few minutes or an hour".

"I understand that he entered and left after a few minutes or an hour, I'm not sure, we're investigating this through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to see exactly what happened at that time."

October 6

The Saudi Arabian consul in Istanbul reopened to prove that Khashoggi was not on his premises and said that "talking about his abduction was unfounded," according to Reuters.

"I would like to confirm that … Jamal is not in the consulate or in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and the consulate and the embassy are working to look for him", c.The general of the military force Mohammad al-Otaibi told Reuters.

October 8th

In an unsolicited message from WhatsApp to Axios reporter Jonathan Swan, MBS's younger brother, Prince Khaled bin Salman, denied accusations that Saudi Arabia had any role in Khashoggi's death.

"I assure you that reports suggesting that Jamal Kashoggi disappeared at the consulate in Istanbul or that the authorities of the kingdom have arrested him or killed him are absolutely false and baseless," he wrote.

"Do you have images of him leaving the consulate?" Swan replied. The reporter did not receive a response.

October 10th

The Turkish media published images of a suspected 15-member Saudi "assassination squad" and a video of suspicious movements at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul after Khashoggi's disappearance.

Saudi Arabia remained silent while the images played on the television networks of Turkey and the world. and he did not offer definitive evidence about Khashoggi's fate.

Saudi-owned Al Arabiya criticized media coverage, writing in an article: "The mystery about the late journalist Jamal Kashhoggi has been plagued by misinformed news, dubious sources and campaigns orchestrated by the media."

October 11th

Saudi ambassador to Washington, Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz, described the accusations as "malicious leaks and shady rumors" and said the kingdom is "gravely concerned" by Khashoggi.

Saudi officials maintained that he left the consulate shortly after entering, although he did not provide supporting evidence, such as video images.

Al Arabiya wrote that the 15 members of the Saudi team were "tourists falsely accused of killing Khashoggi."

October 12

A delegation from Saudi Arabia arrives in the Turkish capital, Ankara, for an investigation into the disappearance of Khashogui, according to two Turkish sources quoted by the country's Anadolu news agency.

October 13

Saudi Minister of Inside Abdulaziz bin Saud bin Naif bin Abdulaziz denied the allegations regarding the Disappearance and alleged murder of Khashoggi.

He said the accusations about Khashoggi's murder orders were "lies" against the government, according to the official Saudi news agency.

October 15th

US President Donald Trump wrote on Twitter that he had spoken with King Salman, who "denies any knowledge of what may have happened" to Jamal Khashoggi.

The New York Times reported that the Saudi royal court will soon publish a narrative that an official of the kingdom's intelligence services, who is a friend of Prince Mohammed, carried out Khashoggi's murder.

According to that narrative, the crown prince approved an interrogation or handover of Khashoggi to Saudi Arabia, but the intelligence officer was incompetent and eagerly sought to prove his worth. Then he tried to cover up the mishandling of the situation.

According to two sources, CNN also reported that Saudi Arabia is preparing a report that will recognize that Khashoggi's murder was the result of an "interrogation that went wrong."

Trump suggested that the "dishonest killers" could be responsible for the mysterious disappearance of Khashogli, an explanation offered to an ally of the United States, Saudi Arabia, a possible way out of a global diplomatic storm.

The Saudis continued to deny that they killed the writer.

After a 20-minute personal phone call with Saudi King Salman, Trump quoted the king as saying that neither he nor his son, MBS, had information about what had happened to Khashoggi.

October 16

Trump spoke with MBS, indicating that the crown prince "totally denied" any knowledge of what happened to Khashoggi.

In a tweet, Trump said MBS told him the Saudis would quickly expand an investigation into the matter. The answers will come "soon", said the president.

October the 17th

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said that Saudi Arabia is seriously committed to holding leaders and senior officials accountable in the case of the missing journalist, should any crime be discovered.

Pompeo's statement said the Saudis acknowledged that something had happened to the missing journalist, but they were not specific.

October 18

A report published in The New York Times on Thursday said Saudi rulers were considering blaming Maj. Gen. Ahmed al-Asiri for Khashoggi's murder, saying it would provide a plausible explanation for the killing and help deflect the blame for the killing. Prince of the Saudi Crown.

October 19

Asiri is dismissed as Saudi Arabiadeputy intelligence chief .

He had served as an advisor to MBS, who promoted him to his intelligence position last year, and was considered one of MBS 'closest advisers.

October 20

After weeks of mounting international pressure, Saudi Arabia finally admits that Khashoggi was killed in his consulate in Istanbul after a fight broke out with the people he met there. but he did not mention where his body is.

"The investigations are still ongoing and 18 Saudi citizens have been arrested," state media said.

October 21

A Saudi official told the Reuters news agency that the team of 15 Saudis who were sent to face Khashoggi on October 2 killed him in a strangulation after "Surpassing "your orders.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, the official said the team tried to intimidate Khashoggi, but when the 59-year-old raised his voice, the team panicked.

Then they tried to contain him, placed him in a strangulation and covered his mouth..

Asked if the team had suffocated Khashoggi, the official said: "If you put someone of Jamal's age in this position, he will probably die."

A member of the 15-man team dressed in Khashoggi's clothes to look like he left the consulate, the official added.

Meanwhile, the Saudi Foreign Minister said Riyadh is still not aware of where the remains of Khashoggi are, calling the killing a "dishonest operation" and a "big mistake."

Speaking in an exclusive interview with Fox News, Adel al-Jubeir said Khashoggi's murder at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul nearly three weeks ago was "a terrible tragedy" with which Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (MBS) had nothing what to see

Al-Jubeir said Khashoggi was contacted by the "Saudi security team" when he entered the consulate on October 2. He added that the team's explanation of what happened after that was different from that of the Turkish officials, which prompted the Saudis to investigate.