How does PEMF help to manage carpal tunnel syndrome?
Do you often get pain, numbness, and tingling sensation at your hand wrist? Do these symptoms worsen at night and wake you from sleep? Do you repetitively flick your wrist to relieve the symptoms? Check if you are having carpal tunnel syndrome.
In case you are diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome, do not opt for surgery right away. Opt for PEMF treatment.
This article explains how PEMF can help in managing carpal tunnel syndrome so that you can prevent the need for surgery. Let us first understand the significance of carpal tunnel syndrome.
What is carpal tunnel syndrome?
Carpal tunnel syndrome occurs in the palm region (carpal tunnel) of the hand. It is a condition wherein the median nerves present in the palmar region are compressed, leading to numbness, weakness, or tingling sensation in the thumb and fingers.
The median nerves provide sensation to the fingers and palm which gets severely affected in this syndrome. Swelling in the wrist is the reason for compression of median nerves. Compared to men, women are more likely to get affected by this condition.
What are the causes and symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome?
Wondering what causes carpal tunnel syndrome? Here’s the list:
- Excess pressure on the wrist and palm
- Inflammation due to obstructed blood flow results in swelling in the wrist
- High sugar content in the blood or diabetes condition
- Improper functioning of thyroid glands
- Excessive retention of fluid in the body due to menopause or pregnancy
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Autoimmune disorders, wherein self-antibodies are attacked e.g.; Rheumatoid arthritis.
- Accidents or fractures to the wrist
- Repeated movements or overextension may also lead to swelling
- Poor positioning of the wrist while typing or using piano
- Diet rich in salt
- Overweight or high Body Mass Index (BMI)
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS
- Loss of strength in hands leads to a frequent drop of the objects
- Thumb, fingers and palm pain and tingling sensation
- Numbness or weakness in the muscles of hands
- Burning sensation of the entire arm
- Painful wrist in the night which does not let to sleep
- Stiffness of fingers in the morning
What are the treatment methods for carpal tunnel syndrome?
Treatment depends upon the severity of pain and symptoms after the onset of the syndrome. Usually, physicians recommend non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) or corticosteroids to reduce inflammation and swelling.
If both the above treatments do not work, doctors usually recommend surgery as the last resort.
Is it possible to manage carpal tunnel syndrome at home?
Yes. You can follow the below-listed exercises to get rid of the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Wrist flexor stretch: This involves the stretching and strengthening exercises of the flexor muscles of the forearm and releasing the pressure off the median nerve.
- Wrist stretch: This exercise helps to strengthen the muscles of the wrist and forearm and also reduces the numbness caused due to carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Wrist rotation: This exercise helps in releasing the tension in the wrist muscles and also improves the circulation throughout the hand.
- Use of squeezy balls: Squeezy balls are also known as stress balls. They are softballs of the size of a tennis ball; exercising with these balls is very easy. It helps in strengthening the muscles of the fingers, wrist, and forearm, and also improves blood circulation.
Practicing the above-listed exercises as per the given directions is very helpful in alleviating the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome and other wrist discomforts arising due to the prolonged use of computer mouse and keyboards. Doing these exercises on a regular basis without any apparent wrist discomfort helps in preventing the development of carpal tunnel syndrome.
How does PEMF help to manage carpal tunnel syndrome?
The above treatment methods work only for a short duration and are associated with the risk of complications. Moreover, they do not heal the root cause of the condition. This is where PEMF therapy really helps!
PEMF stands for Pulsed Electro Magnetic Field. PEMF uses targeted pulsating electromagnetic waves to promote the patient’s natural healing mechanism for treating carpal tunnel syndrome. The user has to adjust its frequency before application. Since PEMF heals the underlying cause of the condition, you don’t experience any adverse side effects.
A 2017 research study reported that PEMF offers a significant improvement in pain, nerve conduction, and handgrip compared to ultrasound treatment.
Another 2008 research study on PEMF revealed that it can significantly offer short-term and long-term improvement in pain and neuronal functions for patients with carpal tunnel syndrome.
A 2015 study revealed that PEMF might be beneficial in improving median nerve electrophysiological function and hand functional abilities.
Thus, PEMF therapy offers quick and lasting outcomes for patients with carpal tunnel syndrome. Are you interested in trying PEMF therapy? Hold on! You need not have to visit the physiotherapy or chiropractor clinic to undergo PEMF treatment. You can purchase a PEMF device for your personal use at an affordable cost. Contact SentientLight, one of the best PEMF machine suppliers in the United States.