Heartwarming twist in case of great-grandfather who lost $71,000 in one click

Heartwarming twist in case of great-grandfather who lost $71,000 in one click after accidentally transferring the money to a stranger

  • Gordon Layton accidentally sent a large sum of money to the wrong person on June 15th
  • He called the banks within hours, but the money had already been received
  • The man who wrongly received the money has been charged with theft
  • The community has gathered to raise money and now the bank has repaid it too


<!–

<!–

<!–

<!–

<!–

<!–

<!–

An elderly man who risks losing his home after transferring $71,400 to the wrong person breathes a sigh of relief after the community raises money and the bank agrees to refund most of the money.

Gordon Layton, an 88-year-old great-grandfather from Bundaberg, Queensland, transferred the money from his ING bank account to an ANZ account on June 14.

He kept the ANZ account under the wrong name and sent the money to another person who allegedly refused to return it.

The man has since been charged with theft by police.

Gordon Layton, an 88-year-old great-grandfather from Bundaberg, East Queensland, accidentally transferred $71,400 to the wrong account

Gordon Layton, an 88-year-old great-grandfather from Bundaberg, East Queensland, accidentally transferred $71,400 to the wrong account

The money was for a house that had been moved to Mr. Layton’s lot, which the retiree plans to renovate and move into.

He and his daughter Jacqui Morrison-White realized the money transfer error within three hours, but it was apparently too late.

Both banks initially told Layton there was nothing they could do – ANZ had requested the money back, but the recipient is said to have said no – and the money was withdrawn over the next few days.

“Of course I wasn’t happy, in fact I was really pissed that this guy took the opportunity to say ‘well, I’m not giving it back, damn it,'” the pensioner said. A current matter.

To make matters worse, the company that moved Mr Layton’s home threatened legal action to get the money – something he said they have every right to do.

Because he has no money to pay for or fix up his house, which has no running water, Mr. Layton stays with relatives or sleeps in the barn.

“This is the money of an 88-year-old retiree, so if we don’t get it back, my dad will have to sell his house to pay the debt. How is that fair?’ said Mrs Morrison-White.

Mr Layton intended to transfer the money to the company that had moved a house (pictured) to his piece of land

Mr Layton intended to transfer the money to the company that had moved a house (pictured) to his piece of land

Mr Layton intended to transfer the money to the company that had moved a house (pictured) to his piece of land

The family scraped together what they could and also started an online petition that garnered enough support to raise the money.

“That’s one less worry for Dad,” said Mrs. Morrison-White.

But she was also determined to follow up on the banks and kept chasing them – which ultimately paid off.

Ms Morrison-White said ANZ contacted them and said they felt a few of their internal processes could have been handled better in this case and agreed to refund some of the money to him. .

“Not everything, but a huge amount of that $71,400 is coming back, and we can’t thank them enough. I was delighted and surprised as it is not often banks are so generous,” said Mr Layton.

He also added that he would like to say a big thank you to everyone who has made an effort in recent weeks to help him “physically, morally or financially.”

Ron Stakenburg (pictured left) has been accused of stealing property worth more than $5,000

Ron Stakenburg (pictured left) has been accused of stealing property worth more than $5,000

Ron Stakenburg (pictured left) has been accused of stealing property worth more than $5,000

The recipient of the money was the man Mr. Layton had hired to certify his new home – Ron Stakenburg.

He was charged with stealing property worth more than $5,000 and appeared briefly before the Bundaberg Magistrates Court.

His case was adjourned and he will appear again on October 18.

Advertisement

.