US

Heartbreaking: A dog that was saved from a Cypriot “kill centre” is killed by fireworks.

Rescue dog is terrified by fireworks

  • Maxine Williams adopted her dog, Bronson, from a Greek resort six years ago
  • The 49-year-old brought the Segugio Italiano back home to Flintshire, Wales
  • But in the middle of a fireworks display, the terrified dog escaped and ran away
  • Two days later, Mrs. Williams discovered her dog had died in a ditch five miles away

A dog rescued from a ‘kill centre’ in Cyprus died in the UK after being ‘terrified’ by fireworks.

Maxine Williams, 49, adopted her dog, Bronson, from the seaside town of Limassol and gave him a ‘life of luxury’ at her home in Wales.

But six years after she adopted him, leading up to the bonfire night, her Segugio Italiano was startled by fireworks and ran away.

Mrs Williams, who runs the Crown and Liver pub, came back to her home in Sandycroft, Flintshire, to find her pet had opened the patio door handle and jumped over the six-foot fence.

She said, “Bronson was always terrified of the bangs. He was shaking from head to toe and I would have to support him all night.

Maxine Williams, 49, adopted her dog, Bronson, from the seaside town of Limassol and gave him a ‘life of luxury’ at her home in Wales

‘I came home that evening and the patio door was open. Bronson was nowhere to be seen and I thought someone might have taken him.”

Drivers spotted the animal running along a nearby road, but were unable to catch it before it disappeared across farmland into the woods.

Ms Williams posted an appeal online when friends and family joined the search, but Bronson was nowhere to be seen.

Two days later, she received a call that her dog had been found in a ditch five miles away, after apparently being hit by a car.

Maxine said, ‘He was everything to me. He lived like a gentleman, but he was kind and gentle. People who met him always said how special he was.’

But Six Years After She Adopted Him, Leading Up To The Bonfire Night, Her Segugio Italiano Was Startled By Fireworks And Ran Away.

But six years after she adopted him, leading up to the bonfire night, her Segugio Italiano was startled by fireworks and ran away.

Mrs Williams, Who Runs The Crown And Liver Pub, Came Back To Her Home In Sandycroft, Flintshire, To Find Her Pet Had Opened The Patio Door Handle And Jumped Over The 6-Foot Fence.

Mrs Williams, who runs the Crown and Liver pub, came back to her home in Sandycroft, Flintshire, to find her pet had opened the patio door handle and jumped over the 6-foot fence.

Bronson’s death comes six years after he was adopted by Maxine after being rescued by Cyprus Pride House, a charity.

Maxine says her pet used to be a happy dog, but always scared during fireworks displays.

She had taken time off to look after Bronson, but got scared during an early screening on a Friday night.

Maxine is now calling for tighter restrictions on fireworks.

She said: ‘People who don’t have dogs may not realize the bond owners can have with them. I’ve always had dogs, but he was just special. He was my baby.

‘Fireworks now start weeks before November 5 and often continue for days afterwards. At least if they went off for one night, owners of affected dogs would know when to be available to help them.”

Show More

Jacky

The author of what'snew2day.com is dedicated to keeping you up-to-date on the latest news and information.

Related Articles

Back to top button