The director of a school where a boy was badly burned during a failed chemistry experiment in 2014, cried in court on Monday because she had to remember the incident.
Alonzo Yanes, now 21, was heavily burned in 2014 while participating in an experiment at The Beacon School in Manhattan.
He was still a teenager at the time and burned up to 30 percent of his body.
Now, Yanes is challenging the school for $ 27 million, claiming that his burns have left him so unhappy and with so little confidence that he has never had sex.
On Monday, Head Ruth Lacey was called to the stands to testify.
Scroll down for video
Ruth Lacey, the director of The Beacon School, cried in the stands on Monday
It is not yet known what she said, but photos of her crying appeared in the witness stand.
Yanes testified himself last week.
& # 39; The way I look is too much in the way. I don't think the scars are very attractive, & the 39-year-old told the courtroom.
Yanes bore third-degree burns to 30 percent of his body, including his face, when he was engulfed by a fireball when Poole launched a & # 39; Rainbow Experiment & # 39; led at The Beacon School, a selective public school in Hell & # 39; s Kitchen.
Lacey was gloomy when she entered the stage on Monday. Yanes challenges the school for $ 27 million
The director is one of the many teachers who have voted in favor of the process
He argues for $ 27 million in civil proceedings.
He also revealed in the gallery that, in the five years since the accident, he has never gotten used to people yawning him & # 39;
& # 39; I'll never get used to that. It still hurts enormously, & he said.
The former student also stated that he often takes off his glasses, so that he cannot see people staring at him.
& # 39; The world didn't really accept the way I physically looked, & # 39; he said.
Yanes then painfully told the court: & # 39; Not a day goes by if I don't think about my injuries or what my life would have been if I hadn't been involved in that injury. & # 39;
Yanes was 16 at the time of the accident. It is shown on the left before the incident and on the right on Friday
& # 39; Not a day goes by if I don't think about my injuries or my life would have been & # 39 ;, Yanes told the court.
Meanwhile, on Thursday, an expert testified that chemical teacher Poole ignored safety protocols.
Samuella Sigmann, a professor at Appalachian State University, said the & # 39; Rainbow Experiment & # 39; should never have taken place.
She said that the lack of a fume cupboard – a ventilated space in a chemistry laboratory, where harmful volatile chemicals can be used or stored – amounts to & # 39; intentional negligence & # 39 ;.
The & # 39; Rainbow experiment & # 39; that Anna Poole performed when Alonzo Yanes was set on fire, causing 30% of his body to have third-degree burns "should never have happened", said Samuella Sigmann, professor at Appalachian State University
Chemistry teacher Poole is pictured arriving on the far right in court on Friday
& # 39; Because they didn't have the right equipment to do it.
& # 39; There was a clear and present danger and they ignored it. The risk was very high, & Sigmann added, the NNew York Post reported.
By listing a catalog of failures, Sigmann said the classroom had no fire blanket, shower, or eye shower, while Poole admitted in the deposition that she had never used a fire extinguisher.
The court heard that although Poole was wearing safety glasses, her students were not.
And the teenagers – who should have been at least 8 feet away from the demonstration table – were too close too, with Yanes just two to three feet away, the expert added.
The court heard that although Poole was wearing safety glasses, her students were not. She is in the picture on Friday
Poole demonstrated a chemical reaction to the class, heard the court, and is accused of pouring flammable liquid from a smoke-filled container onto an illuminated crucible.
Poole had the & # 39; Rainbow Experiment & # 39; where mineral salts are burned to produce multicolored flames, the court heard.
Yanes said to the court earlier: & She poured the methanol into a container, and then without any warning, there was a big whoosh sound – a giant fireball had burst out of the jar. I saw flashes of blue and orange. I heard my classmates go, & # 39; Whoa! and shout.
& # 39; I reflexively set my arms to shield myself somewhat from the flames that were coming at me. & # 39;
Images of the horrific injuries of Alonzo were shown to the jury on Monday.
His mother, Yvonne, had previously told jurors how to warn her daughter that her brother's appearance had changed after he had suffered third degree burns when he was hit by the flames.
A tearful Yvonne, 51, said she told Yanes younger sister Alana, who was seven at the time of the incident, that her brother & # 39; no longer looked the same & # 39 ;.
She remembered saying, "He'll probably look very scary for you." He will probably look like a monster like Frankenstein.
Images of Yanes's injuries were shown to the judges on Monday
. [TagsToTranslate] Dailymail