Hollywood studios seem unsure what to do with Jonathan Majors after the rising star was accused of assaulting and choking his ex-girlfriend, Grace Jabari, in New York City in March.
Earlier this year, Majors starred as a villain in Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania opposite Paul Rudd. Since his arrest, both Marvel and Disney, the film’s producers, have remained silent. Jabbari worked on the movie as well.
diverse It was reported this week that Majors has signed a $20 million deal to reprise the role in a franchise based on his character that includes the finale titled Avengers: The Kang Dynasty.
The character is also set to appear in the Disney+ series Loki. a Examination 2022 An article on the future financial prospects of the Avengers argued that Kang Dynasty could bring in $2 billion and that Secret Wars, which Majors is also linked to, could become the highest-grossing film of all time.
earlier this week, diverse Reported that more defendants against major corporations are slated to come forward. A source claimed to the Post on Wednesday that the unidentified women are cooperating with the Manhattan district attorney’s office.
Jonathan Majors, who played Kang in Ant-man and the Wasp earlier this year, has been signed to star in at least three other Avengers projects.
His performance in Creed III garnered rave reviews with the star receiving an Academy Award 2024 for another project
Majors’ ex-girlfriend, Grace Jabari, said in a criminal complaint that the altercation left her with a laceration behind her ear and an injury to her right hand — something her former lawyers say has been refuted by security footage that has not yet been released.
US Army ads featuring Major were released in March, but after news of his alleged wrongdoing broke, the Army paused the campaign.
Majors hired attorney Priya Choudhury to defend him. She adamantly denied the charges against Majors
Jabbari’s allegations saw the 33-year-old star arrested and charged with misdemeanor assault and harassment — charges leveled by Majors’ lawyer, Priya Choudhury, that the Big Apple’s attorney general demanded dismissal Thursday. He is scheduled to appear in court on May 8.
Earlier this year, the Yale graduate received rave reviews for his role in Creed III, which brought in nearly $250 million worldwide. In 2021, he received an Emmy Award nomination for his role in the 2021 HBO series Lovecraft Country.
Disney’s Searchlight brand also owns the rights to his upcoming film, Magazine Dreams, the story of a troubled bodybuilder who has already generated Oscar buzz. Majors served as a producer on the film.
Searchlight described his performance as a “strength” in promotional materials. The movie, which premiered at Sundance this year, is set for a December 8 release, just in time for award season.
Other upcoming projects include Spike Lee Da Understudy alongside Will Smith and 48 Hours in Vegas where Majors will play former Chicago Bulls star Dennis Rodman.
said a Hollywood insider diverse: I think the truth is, everyone is waiting to see what Marvel is going to do. This does not mean that everyone will do the same thing, but that is what people look forward to.
While someone else said from the inside New York Post That the studios are under fire because of the potential for a lawsuit from Majors if he is fired without cause.
Plus, Majors took a step back from his philanthropic work with the Gotham Film and Media Institute and the Sidney Poitier Initiative.
He was also dropped by Lede Corporation and Management 360 but remains a client, for the time being, of WME. In the past, the latter has dropped clients accused of abuse, including Armie Hammer and Brett Ratner.
Majors has been roped in for other projects, including the Otis Redding biopic, Otis and Zelma, and the movie The Man in My Basement, where he also serves as executive producer and stars with Willem Dafoe.
He lost endorsement deals with the US Army, Texas Rangers and won’t be attending the Met Gala.
Army leaders were eager to feature the key elements in the ads, as a key part of their new campaign aimed at reviving the service’s faltering enlistment numbers — which fell well short of last year’s recruiting target.
They believed the ads would capitalize on Majors’ popularity and reach a younger audience. The ads, which were to appear in a $70 million ad buy for television and social media, were abruptly pulled and replaced.
Attorneys for actor Jonathan Majors have claimed that the new surveillance video exonerates their client in the ongoing domestic violence case, citing the video showing the accuser (circled) clubbing and socializing in the hours after she was assaulted.
Only the stills, many of the images come from security footage from Loosie’s nightclub between 1:55am and 3:06am on March 25 – shortly after Jabbari was assaulted while riding in a taxi to his flat in Chelsea
Majors’ attorneys claimed this week that the surveillance video clears him of any wrongdoing.
The footage, filed as evidence Wednesday in New York Criminal Court, appears to show the Creed star’s accuser unharmed and out on the town after allegedly being dusted on March 25.
At the time, Jabbari wrote in a criminal complaint that the fight left her with a cut behind her ear and an injury to her right hand.
Citing clips showing Jaberi being clubbed and communicating with others in the hours after she was assaulted, Chowdhury also pointed to first responder camcorder footage that she says shows officers “coaching” the woman through her account of the alleged assault.
“Jonathan Majors is innocent and has not offended anyone,” Chaudhry wrote in the document, dated Tuesday but not accepted by the court until Wednesday.
She added, “We have submitted compelling evidence to the Public Prosecutor that the charges are false.” “We are confident that he will be fully exonerated.”
The grip appears to show Jabbari at the establishment’s bar using her hands as she sorts through credit cards and casually signs a receipt.
Another shows her partying near the stage of the busy nightclub host – again using both hands
Pictures, lawyers claim, show how she got into a clubbing, then got drunk after the alleged assault on March 25
Only stills Many of the images come from footage recorded at a Lower East Side club shortly after news broke that Majors assaulted Jabari while riding in a taxi to his apartment
The filer moved forward to provide several screenshots of the alleged video evidence cited by the attorney, which she said had already been turned over to the DA’s office for review.
Only stills, many of the images come from footage recorded at Loosie’s Nightclub on the Lower East Side between 1:55 am and 3:06 am on March 25 – shortly after Jabari was assaulted while riding in a taxi to his Chelsea flat.
The catch appears to show Jabbari at the establishment’s bar, using her hands as she sorts out credit cards and signs the occasional receipt. Another shows her partying near the stage of the busy nightclub host – again using both hands.
One photo taken in a nondescript elevator car appears to show the uninjured defendant at approximately 3:25 a.m., using her right hand to adjust her hair—the same appendage that Majors claimed Majors had grabbed earlier in the night and injured him.
Chaudhry wrote in an accompanying letter: Jabbari attacked Mr. Majors in the car and Mr. Majors never hit or hurt her.
“Hours of security videos of Ms. Jabbari after she left the car prove that she did not sustain any injury in the car, certainly not at the hands of Mr. Majors.”