REVEALED: Why Aussie boxer Harry Garside could still be denied a place at the Paris Olympics despite domestic violence case being dismissed as a new legal issue emerges
- Harry Garside’s Olympic dream is in jeopardy again
- The boxer was acquitted this week of domestic violence
- But a legal dispute with his former manager has caused problems
Harry Garside’s hopes of making it to the Olympics have become another stumbling block, according to reports.
Garside, 25, was this week acquitted of a domestic violence charge against ex-girlfriend Ash Ruscoe after his legal team produced video evidence they say showed Ruscoe was the alleged aggressor in an incident on March 1.
Garside was arrested by NSW Police in dramatic scenes at Sydney Airport as he returned home with his father after taping the reality TV show I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out Of Here! in South Africa.
The lawsuit threatened Garside’s potential place in the Australian boxing squad for the 2024 Games in Paris, and the latest development was a big boost for the 25-year-old who won bronze in Tokyo.
But now the Daily Telegraph reports that a breach of contract claim by his former manager could see Garside miss out on the Olympics.
Harry Garside’s Olympic dream is on the line amid an ongoing legal battle
Garside, 25, saw charges against him dropped this week in relation to an alleged domestic violence incident involving ex-girlfriend Ash Ruscoe (left)
Peter Mintrevski Jnr has hired Adam Houda to take legal action. The star’s former manager had previously seen a $50,000 settlement offer rejected by Garside.
A spokesperson for Garside said they hoped to finalize talks with his former manager as soon as possible.
The boxer signed a three-year management deal with Mitrevski to turn professional after the Tokyo Games, but they split after just six months, during which he fought three times.
Mitrevski claims he paid the fighter a sign-up fee, provided him with a car and put him in a position where he earned commentary on Fox Sports before moving on to I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here.
Boxing Australia’s president Phil Goodes confirmed that Garside needs permission to fight in the Olympic qualifiers.
“I understand there is a contractual agreement between Harry and his manager and promoter that he must abide by,” Goodes told News Corp.
‘Our CEO has sent him a letter about this.
Harry has to prove his problems are solved.
“We have not disqualified anyone at this time, but we have requested clarification ahead of an amateur competition.
And now he faces a potential breach of contract with former manager Peter Mintrevski Jr
“I would expect Harry and his team to negotiate with his promoter and his manager before the Olympic qualifiers to get the right outcome.
‘Boxing Australia wants to move forward and focus on the Olympics.’
A spokesperson for Garside said: ‘Harry’s ambition to qualify for Paris 2024 is no secret and he has been absolutely blown away by the enthusiasm and support he has received.
In practice he has to retire from professional boxing to concentrate on qualifying. He hopes to finalize talks with Mr. Mitrevski as soon as possible and is grateful to him for understanding his position so far.’