Harry and Meghan photo that sat next to one of William and Kate in Kensington Palace has been deleted
It was only four weeks ago that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex closed their dramatic “Megxit” deal to stop as senior royals, but “The Firm” apparently has already gone further.
With what may be seen by some as surprising rush, a prominent photo of the couple has been removed from Kensington Palace.
It is one of the first physical signs of the couple’s separation from the royal family after giving up their HRH titles to forge a new life – and possibly very lucrative careers – in North America.
Until recently, a photo of the couple was displayed on a large table in one of the grand foyers of the palace, opposite a photo of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and their children. Both photos, separated by a large vase of flowers, were proud to be seen as recently as Christmas.
However, royal sources reported this weekend that the photo of the Sussexes has been silently removed, while that of the Cambridges remains.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are seen when they returned to Canada after a supposed business meeting in the states
The grim symbolism of the missing photo is unlikely to help restore the tense relationships between Prince Harry and his family.
Both Princes grew up in Kensington Palace and later shared their offices there until they announced last year that they would split up their royal households.
Harry and Meghan announced their engagement in the palace’s Sunken Garden and their first marital home was Nottingham Cottage, on the palace’s landscaped grounds, before moving to Frogmore Cottage in Windsor.
The Mail on Sunday understands that Royal Aides remain bruised by the extraordinary emotional unrest caused by ‘Megxit’. According to the historic settlement struck at the Sandringham Palace in January, the Sussexes resign from their royal duties and spend more time in Canada and the US. They will no longer use their HRH titles and will pay back millions of pounds of tax money to redecorate Frogmore Cottage.
The grim symbolism of the missing photo is unlikely to help restore the tense relationships between Prince Harry and his family. Both Princes grew up in Kensington Palace and later shared their offices there until they announced last year that they were splitting up their royal households
But in a sign of the continuing resentment created by the split, royal sources even speculated last week that the Duchess of Sussex might want to overshadow this report’s media coverage of the Duchess of Cambridge’s candid interview about motherhood and parenthood. “She’ll probably put some c *** on Instagram,” a royal spring said sourly.
There was also disbelief among assistants this weekend after the Duchess of Sussex ignored their advice and posted a remarkable video behind the scenes of her stint as a guest editor of the Vogue magazine.
The images, which were placed on the Sussex Royal Instagram account, showed that Meghan put on a silly hat and played with a party blower. It was released to celebrate the success of the Forces For Change edition that she released in August, which became the best-selling issue of the decade.
However, it is believed that palace officials repeatedly blocked her and Vogue editor Edward Enninful to post the images online because they considered it frivolous and “inane.” In the video, Enninful stumbles: “I remember walking into Kensington Palace and I was so excited. And I was like “Nice to meet you, Duchess,” and you said, “Call me Meghan!” “He tells her she has an” editor’s eye “and adds,” I mean, I’ve never seen anything like that. “
She answers: ‘But I left the fashion stuff to your professionals. I did say: “Can you do Commonwealth fashion? Can you do sustainability? Can we ensure that the position is really in the right ethos? “”
The video, which was posted last Thursday evening, has been viewed more than two million times, but has attracted huge online responses. “Gee, what a nauseous complacent video,” wrote an Instagram user. “It’s so self-centered that it’s just hard to look at.” Another wrote: “A self-centered, selfish person who should not surrender.”
Others emphasized how the video was posted when it turned out that Harry and Meghan are hitting 15 employees and closing their Buckingham Palace office.
One or two can again be admitted to the Royal Family, but most are expected to negotiate redundancy packages. Those who lose their jobs are the newly appointed private secretary of the couple, Fiona Mcilwham, and their experienced communications head, Sara Latham.
“Our thoughts are with all your employees who have lost their jobs,” posted an Instagram user in response to the Vogue video.
The job losses are another sign of how little time the Sussex people are likely to spend in the UK.
Last week it emerged that the couple, who live with their baby Archie in a rented mansion on Vancouver Island, Canada, had made a surprise visit to Stanford University to encourage speculation that they are planning to spend more time in California.