Prince Harry and his wife Meghan have been asked to leave their home in Britain, signaling a further deterioration in ties with the royal family as preparations for the coronation of his father, King Charles III.
Frogmore Cottage, in the grounds of Windsor Castle, west of London, was intended to be the couple’s primary residence before they gave up their royal duties and moved to Southern California. The Sun tabloid reported that Charles had begun the eviction process on January 11, the day after the publication of Harry’s explosive memoir, “Spare.”
“We can confirm that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been asked to vacate their residence at Frogmore Cottage,” a spokesperson for the couple said in a statement.
Revelations Harry made in “Spare” deepened the rift between him and his family. The book contained his account of private conversations with his father and his brother, Prince William, the heir to the throne.
After leaving Britain, Harry and Meghan said Frogmore Cottage would remain their base when they visited the UK
In September 2020, a spokesperson revealed that the couple had repaid approximately $3.2 million in taxpayer money that had been used to renovate the house when they were working members of the royal family.
The money “fully covered” the cost of the renovation, the spokesman said.