Today I learned that Hans Zimmer, known for his brilliant scores for movies such as Inception, pirates of the Caribbean, and The lionking, has also composed driving sounds for BMW. And they are actually quite good!
And you can hear the driving sound that Zimmer composed for the BMW Vision M NEXT concept car in 2019 in this video:
These are cool, but they have The edge staff wonder: what other composers should make sounds for cars? That’s why we’ve brought together just a few of our favorite composers in one list, and some ideas about what their car sound might be like:
- John Williams (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, ET, Jurassic Park): bombastic and inspiring
- Danny Elfman (The Nightmare Before Christmas, Men in Black, The Simpsons theme song): spritely vrooming, possibly with horn section
- Clint Mansell (The Fountain, Black Swan, Mass Effect 3): intense, overwhelming and somehow brings me to tears
- Nobuo Uematsu (known for his many compositions for the Final Fantasy series): hypnotize me to beat some bad guys (of course after I’m done driving)
- Trent Reznor (from the band Nine Inch Nails, and composer for The social network, Guards, and Soul [alongside Atticus Ross]): ambient, creeping fear
- Yoko Kanno (Cowboy Bebop, Vision of Escaflowne): perky, humorous, but somehow just as perfectly matched to the car as a seat belt
Please, car manufacturers: let more composers make driving sounds. I’ve just given you some excellent candidates to consider.
In fact, the tech industry in general, please hire them to make other sounds too – you don’t always have to ask Zimmer to make things.