Loving grandmother, 52, who became addicted to painkillers after a hip injury, died of a crack and heroin overdose after falling into Class A use
- Ann Marie Webster, 52, developed an addiction to painkillers because of hip pain
- She enrolled in a rehab course, but met a drug dealer who gave her harder drugs
- Grandmother died in Hull Royal Infirmary after overdosing on crack cocaine
A hardworking and devoted grandmother died of a drug overdose shortly after moving to Hull to get relief from her addiction to painkillers.
Ann Marie Webster, 52, took painkillers because of hip problems and severe menstrual pain, but became addicted to codeine.
She decided to break free from the addiction and began a 13-week rehabilitation course in Hull, temporarily moving from her home in Keelby, Lincs.
During a meeting, she met a drug user and became acquainted with cracking cocaine and heroin.
Ann Marie Webster, 52, moved to Hull for drug addiction rehab when she died
She died at Hull Royal Infirmary in November 2019.
Her sister, Samantha Collins, said, “Annie loved helping people.
‘She flourished in her work by giving people advice and people always said, give Annie a call. She was very close to her parents and to me. She loved family barbecues and loved going to her parents for Sunday lunch.
“She loved dogs and she had a French bulldog named Dave. Her ex-partner brought her over on the weekends and she loved it.
“She was the smart one in our family and she went to college and graduated. It was a very proud moment when she graduated. When she got a job at the counseling center she couldn’t believe she had such a good job.
“Annie had so much to live for. She adored her grandchildren. We’ve had so many good times and it’s such a shame it ended like this.
“I’ll remember her as just Annie and such a sweet sister. She was a wonderful person.’
She moved to Hull for rehabilitation in July 2019 after enrolling in the ReNew program.
Samantha said her sister didn’t look well at all when she spoke to her in October of that year.
She said, ‘I can’t believe what happened. She went to an agency for help for an over-the-counter drug addiction to the intravenous use of hard drugs.
The popular grandmother had only been in Hull for four months when she died of a drug overdose
“She had never been exposed to that lifestyle before and I never thought something like this would happen to her.”
Assistant coroner Ian Sprakes concluded her death was “drug related”.
He said: ‘Ann was a very intelligent woman and she did a lot to help other people.
‘Unfortunately, she had physical problems that made her dependent on painkillers and an addiction.
“This is an extremely sad case of the loss of a woman who is clearly bright and intelligent.
“But she got into an addiction and got involved with people who weren’t having a positive impact on her life. It is a sad and tragic loss.’