Got Dull Skin? Learn How to Brighten it with These Tips
Still have dull skin despite the hours you put into caring for it? You eat right and drink right. You likely use a face pack or two once a week, but your skin refuses to shine? We feel you. But rest assured, this isn’t a permanent skin ailment. The beauty industry has your back and has crafted various products to bust that stubborn dull skin. But what causes dull skin? Read on ahead to find out how to brighten dull skin with these amazing tips provided by MIRA BEAUTY – the leading beauty marketplace for everything makeup & skincare.
The Causes of Dull Skin:
- Dead Skin cells: this is one of the major causes of dull skin. As we age, our skin slowly starts producing less oil leading to a build of dead cells. Skin conditions like psoriasis and eczema also contribute to this.
- Dehydrated Skin: our skins need a lot of water! Lack of it makes the skin appear dull—also a cause of under-eye circles and shadows.
- Unhealthy Diet: You are what you eat. Diet, just like water, plays a crucial role in maintaining skin health. Investing in a balanced diet can give skin back its brightness.
- Makeup build-up: we’re all guilty of sometimes sleeping in our makeup, but it isn’t something you should make a habit of – leads to clogged pores filled with dirt and grime, making skin look dull.
- Beauty Sleep: lack of sleep equals dull skin. It’s called “beauty sleep” for a reason. Your skin and body both need rest. Not providing it may develop shadows and puffiness around the eyes too.
Keeping these factors in check is still sometimes not enough to brighten dull skin. Skincare is still necessary to give skin a hydration boost and reveal glowing skin from under the weight of dead cells. Below are skincare products that can help you achieve your dream of radiant, youthful skin. We’ve divided the product list under these headings exfoliators, masks, serums, and moisturizers for your ease.
Exfoliators for Dull Skin:
- Daily Microfoliant by Dermalogica: Dermalogica knows how to make exfoliators. In a word, Daily Microfoliant is “gentle.” Consists of potent ingredients like licorice, Phytic acid (from rice bran), and Grapefruit; they gently exfoliate and brighten dull skin. Draw out excess oil and minimize pores with Papain Enzymes and Salicylic Acid. Lastly, the Colloidal Oatmeal calms irritated skin and is a favorite among sensitive and dry skinned people. You can’t go wrong with this exfoliator!
- Fresh’s Sugar Face Polish Exfoliator: this is a 2-in-1 mask come scrub that helps brighten dull skin after one use. Packed with all-natural ingredients, this skin care product is a must. Brown sugar acts as a “humectant”- seals moisture and sloughs off dead skin. Strawberries rich in vitamin C smooth and brighten your skin. Skin is hydrated and nourished with grapeseed and plum oils. Leave it overnight as a mask or exfoliate three times a week. This product is a cult classic and rightly so.
- The Rice Polish Classic By Tatcha: this exfoliator brings the best of both worlds; combines ancient Japanese rituals with modern technology. A powerful exfoliant, it has you feeling clean, pure, glowy, and radiant. Nobody brightens skin better than the Rice Polish. It has a “powder-to-foam” formula with rich ingredients like Rice Bran, an antioxidant-rich in minerals, vitamins, and nutrients that encourage cell renewal. The Papaya enzymes slough off dead skin while the pearl hydrates and restores collagen. What makes Tatcha unique is “Hadasei-3™”- an exclusive trio of anti-aging superfoods (rice, algae, green tea) solely to provide youthful skin.
Moisturizers for Dull Skin:
- Ginzing Ultra-Hydrating Energy-Boosting Cream by Origins: That name is a mouthful, and so is the good this cream is packed with. Suffer from extra dry skin? This one’s for you! Origin’s exclusive Hydra Hug™ Technology, along with potent ingredients like Ginseng and caffeine, wake up the dullest of skins. It is hydration that lasts for 72 hours filling in fine lines, wrinkles, and paving the way for brighter skin. This lightweight cream is heavy on the benefits, and definite energy boost your skin will thank you for.
- First Aid Beauty’s Ultra Repair Cream Intense Hydration: rule number one of using FAB products is that they’re always right! Known to treat every complexion issue our skin can come up with. This cream is a dream. Packed with ceramide-3 and Shea butter, these ingredients brighten your skin, restore moisture, and get rid of irritation that comes with dry skin. It’s also perfect for treating eczema or rosacea as it contains colloidal oatmeal. Its lightweight formula can be used all over your body and give you a dewy, healthy complexion.
Face Masks for Dull Skin:
- Cilantro and Orange Extract Pollutant Defending Mask by Kiehl’s: we’ve got two words for you “overnight mask.” The cilantro extract provides nutrients to the skin and strengthens the barrier—the orange acts as an antioxidant and protects against pollutants. Waking up to a radiant and brightened skin tone is quite a treat. Khiel’s mask works its magic overnight and understands how to show your skin a good time.
- Superfood Skin Reset Mask by Youth to the People: once a while, your skin needs to reach 00:00. Zero O’clock, it’s time to rest your skin with this mask from Youth to the People. The superfoods it contains all serve to brighten skin and get rid of dullness. “Seagreens spirulina,” “bioactive microalgae,” and leafy greens kale, spinach, and green tea come together in a perfect blend of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and antioxidants, working towards rejuvenating and repairing damaged skin.
- Fresh’s Rose Deep Hydration Sleeping Mask: sleeping masks are the beauty of God’s gift to consumers. Instead of just dreaming about “petal-soft skin,” make it a reality with this hydration mask. Rose, rosewater, hyaluronic acid-they brighten skin, lock in hydration, and clear up dull patches. The mask is a savior. Apart from brightening dull skin, it also eliminates acne and dryness and soothes irritated skin. You need this anti-stress mask in your skincare regimen!
Serums for Dull Skin:
- A Perfect World SPF 40 Age-Defense Moisturizer with White Tea by Origins: “A perfect world” just like its name, creates the perfect world or microcosm on your face for your skin to thrive in. It has a white tea infused formula that postpones the natural aging process. It protects our skin against infrared rays, pollution, and other environmental factors that damage our skin. SPF 40 further helps to combat the sun’s harmful rays and protect the skin from looking dull. What’s more, the effects last the whole day.
Juice Beauty’s Antioxidant Serum: harmful UV rays, free radical damage, and environmental stressors play a big hand in dulling our skin’s glow. Nothing fights these better than antioxidants, and this serum has a chock full of them. Combined with fatty acids from plant oils, a mixture of peptides, CoQ10, and alpha-lipoic acid – the serum acts as a large vitamin pill for your skin. Not only does it brighten dull skin, but it also protects against environmental stressors and free radicals. It also works to smooth fine lines. Your skin needs a sip of this juicy antioxidant serum!