Advertisements
A toddler almost died when he drink liquid fantasy out of a shot glass that was left out while his mother (pictured) was in another room

Toddler almost dies after drinking liquid fantasy from a shot glass left over from a house party when his mother went to another room

  • Toddler almost died when he drank the drug liquid out of a shot glass
  • His 24-year-old mother pleaded guilty to negligent acts and possessing a drug
  • She rushed to him and forced him to vomit up the drug before calling triple-zero
  • He was then duties to hospital, intubated and given medication to reverse it
Advertisements

A toddler almost died when he drink liquid fantasy out of a shot glass that was left out while his mother was in another room.

The 24-year-old mother, who cannot be named due to legal reasons, faced Southport Magistrates Court on the Gold Coast on Friday where she pleaded guilty to negligent acts causing harm and unlawfully possessing a substance.

She was fined $ 500 and placed on a $ 2,500 good behavior bond for one year, with no conviction recorded.

A toddler almost died when he drink liquid fantasy out of a shot glass that was left out while his mother (pictured) was in another room

Advertisements

A toddler almost died when he drink liquid fantasy out of a shot glass that was left out while his mother (pictured) was in another room

The woman hero at a party and the following day, July 6, realized the drug gamma-hydroxybutyrate (GHB) was in a shot glass inside a terracotta pot her son's gift for Mother's Day.

She attempted to put the drug out of reach on a shelf about 1.8m high to keep it away from the two-year-old, Gold Coast Bulletin reported.

Mother and son watching movies together later in the day when she went into another room for just a minute.

When she got back to the room she saw the son had the empty shot glass in his hand and yelled 'yuck!'.

She quickly realized her son had swallowed the clear liquid and rushed to her son and forced him to vomit.

Prosecutor Caitlin Usher told the court that the quick actions prevented her son from dying as she quickly called emergency services.

Advertisements

However, when the ambulance arrived the two-year-old boy lost consciousness and stopped breathing momentarily.

"The victim child was immediately intubated and induced into a coma upon arrival at the Gold Coast University Hospital," Ms. Usher said.

He was left intubated for about five hours as a medical staff gift the boy medication to 'counteract the effects of the liquid'.

The 24-year-old mother faced Southport Magistrates Court (pictured) on Friday where she pleaded guilty to negligent acts causing harm and unlawfully possessing a substance

The 24-year-old mother faced Southport Magistrates Court (pictured) on Friday where she pleaded guilty to negligent acts causing harm and unlawfully possessing a substance

The 24-year-old mother faced Southport Magistrates Court (pictured) on Friday where she pleaded guilty to negligent acts causing harm and unlawfully possessing a substance

Advertisements

"The treating doctor confirmed that without immediate medical intervention the child would have stopped breathing and died from the ingestion of the liquid," she said.

The liquid was tested and confirmed to be GHB, otherwise known as liquid fantasy.

The 24-year-old told police she knew the liquid may have been the drug, but did not know who it belonged to.

Defense lawyer Farshad Sarabi informed the court that the Department of Child Safety investigated the incident but did not take any action.

Drug tests proved the mother did not take any illicit substances and Mr. Sarabi said she was a loving mother who did not mean to harm her child.

Advertisements

Magistrate Ron Kilner understood the incident was a 'tragic accident'.

WHAT IS LIQUID FANTASY?

  • "Fantasy" is the name for Gamma-hydroxybutyrate (GHB), a depressant drug that contains sedative and anesthetic properties
  • It is also know as "GHB", "GBH" (grievous bodily harm), "liquid ecstasy" and "liquid E"
  • Depressant drugs slow the activity of the brain and some parts of the central nervous system
  • GHB occurs naturally in the body but was first manufactured in 1960 and is now used in several countries as an anesthetic and as treatment for conditions like insomnia and narcolepsy
  • It commonly comes as a colorless, odorless, salty-tasting liquid sold in small bottles, but it can also come as a crystal powder
  • There are also leg reports of bright blue GHB called 'liquid nitro', but experts expect the color is added by food dye
  • The drug is mostly tasks orally but some have been known to inject it
  • In the 1980s, bodybuilders used the drug to promote 'slow wave sleep' during which a growth hormone was released
  • Today, it is used in the dance / club scene for its euphoric effects
  • It has also been identified as a 'date rape drug' as it can be added to drinks without visible trace

Effects:

The effects of GHB vary from person to person and depend on how much of the drug is used, the strength of the drug, how it is used, how often the person uses it, how recently the person has eaten and the physical and psychological characteristics of the person. Generally, the effects last around three hours and include:

  • drowsiness
  • nausea
  • increased confidence, reduced inhibitions
  • increased sociability
  • enhanced sense of touch

Source: Australian Police

Advertisements

(tagsToTranslate) dailymail (t) news (t) gold-coast