God of War on PC: Gameplay Tips for Tomorrow’s Launch
Tomorrow, January 14, God of War (2018) launches on PC. To make sure you’re ready, we have our PC System Requirements and features – make sure to check them both out.
One of the unique PC features that we’re really excited about is the 21:9 ultra-widescreen support that allows you to play the game with an incredibly unique theatrical feel. Take a look below:
We can’t wait to see your ultra-wide screenshots!
Survival Guide of Nine Realms
With our release on PC, we hope that many new players can experience the story of Kratos and Atreus for the first time. To get you started, we’ve put together some beginner tips to help you prepare for the journey ahead.
Don’t forget your boy
Atreus may be young, but he is one of your best assets in battle. As your journey progresses, Atreus will grow stronger and gain access to skills that can make all the difference in your toughest battles, such as being able to stun monsters, bring Kratos back from the brink of death, and unleash powerful magical abilities along with his bow attacks.
Atreus has three different gear sets that can be tailored to suit your playstyle. Be sure to equip him to best support Kratos’ needs in combat. At their first level, the sets have the following effects:
- sniper robe: Decrease the charging time of the Talon Bow. Aimed shots at enemies in the air deal extra damage.
- hunting tunic: Increases melee damage and reveals the enemy’s weakness. Choked enemies will take more damage.
- runic robes: Increased recovery rate from enemy attacks and provides Healthstone help. When Kratos is injured, Atreus has a chance to find Healthstones.
Upgrading Atreus’ skills and equipment will be just as important as upgrading Kratos, invest in his progression early and often!
In God of War there are side missions called Favors. Some let you get to know your allies better, like helping the blacksmith brothers Brok and Sindri, while others let you travel deeper into the rich Norse mythology of the world.
They all offer rewards that will help you in battle. In addition to the XP you earn, many of the Favors also give you equipment and skill upgrades.
Earn XP with the Labors of Kratos
Labors are tracked activities that reward you for interacting with the world and playing the game. Completing them will give you a good chunk of XP, so they’re great for leveling up. They also encourage you to change playstyles, try new tactics and explore the world.
Works come in four different categories:
- World: Get involved with the world by completing activities like closing Realm Tears and finding hidden rooms.
- To build: Create and upgrade your gear.
- Skill: Kill enemies in a specific way, such as setting them on fire or performing parry.
- Kill: Defeat a certain number of enemies.
Bestiary Combat Tactics
Atreus keeps notes of all the enemies you encounter in the Codex. Not only is it a great way to keep track of the information you learn about important figures and the realms themselves, the Bestiary section also provides helpful gameplay tips about monster weakness. Enemies aren’t one-size-fits-all, if you’re having trouble with a particular type of creature, check Atreus’ notes for tips on how to take them out.
Understanding your Gear stats
Your fighting style can greatly benefit from the gear you equip. Once you know what type of gameplay you like, there will be gears that will help you excel in that area.
Whether you want to focus on standard attacks, your runic skills, or a combination of both – understanding your gear stats will help you decide which pieces to invest in.
- power: Increases damage for all standard attacks.
- runes: Increase both Runic Attack and Elemental Damage.
- Defense: Reduces all damage done.
- Vitality: Increases maximum health and decreases hit reaction severity of enemy attacks.
- Luck: Increases the chance of activating Perk. Increases XP and Hacksilver gains.
- Calm down: Reduces the charging time of Runic Attacks, Runic Summons and Talismans.
Certain gears are also better for a specific playstyle, make sure to find the one that suits you best! If you’d like to pre-purchase God of War for PC, it’s available on both the Steam and Epic Game Store.