Girl, 11, dies after a severe allergic reaction to TOOTHPASTE that contained a milk protein

An 11-year-old girl died after having an allergic reaction to toothpaste and her mother is now warning other parents about the importance of reading labels.

Denise Saldate, from West Covina, California, who had a dairy allergy, got an anaphylactic shock from a milk protein in a prescribed toothpaste.

She had received the prescription from her dentist to help strengthen her tooth enamel, Allergic Living reported.

After years of reading ingredient labels on toothpaste tubes and never seeing milk, her mother, Monica Altamirano, said she didn't think her daughter would be exposed to milk.

Denise Saldate, 11 (photo), from West Covina, California, was diagnosed with a dairy allergy at the age of one

Denise (photo) was prescribed toothpaste on April 4 to help strengthen her tooth enamel

Denise (photo) was prescribed toothpaste on April 4 to help strengthen her tooth enamel

Denise Saldate, 11 (left and right), from West Covina, California, was diagnosed with a dairy allergy at the age of one. She was prescribed toothpaste on April 4 to help strengthen her tooth enamel

That evening Denise received an anaphylactic shock, which means that the immune system reacts excessively to an allergen. Pictured: Denise (in white) with her mother and sisters

That evening Denise received an anaphylactic shock, which means that the immune system reacts excessively to an allergen. Pictured: Denise (in white) with her mother and sisters

That evening Denise received an anaphylactic shock, which means that the immune system reacts excessively to an allergen. Pictured: Denise (in white) with her mother and sisters

Denise was diagnosed with & # 39; severe dairy allergy & # 39; at the age of one.

In the following years, Altamirano and Denise's father, Jose Saldate, diligently read the food labels and made sure the school staff gave her suitable lunches.

On April 4, Denise and her mother went to the dentist, who suggested MI Paste One, a brand of medicinal toothpaste to help strengthen her tooth enamel.

Altamirano had spent most of Denise & # 39; s childhood reading the ingredient label on toothpaste tubes, but had never mentioned milk.

& # 39; I had not thought of looking at the ingredients of the product, & # 39; she said to Allergic Living. & # 39; She was just excited to have her special toothpaste. & # 39;

WHAT IS AN ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK?

Anaphylaxis, also known as anaphylactic shock, can be killed within minutes.

It is a serious and potentially life-threatening response to a trigger, such as an allergy.

The reaction can often be caused by certain foods, including peanuts and shellfish.

However, some drugs, bee stings and even latex in condoms can also cause the life-threatening reaction.

According to the NHS, it happens when the immune system overreacts to a trigger.

Symptoms include: feeling light-headed or fainting; breathing difficulties – such as fast, superficial breathing; wheezing; a fast heartbeat; damp skin; confusion and fear and collapse or lose consciousness.

It is considered a medical emergency and requires immediate treatment.

Insect stings are not dangerous for most victims, but a person does not necessarily have a pre-existing condition to be in danger.

A consecutive accumulation of stitches can cause a person to develop an allergy, with another incentive causing the anaphylactic reaction.

That evening, Denise was brushing in the bathroom with her 15-year-old sister.

Her sister told Allergic Living that a few seconds later Denise ran out of the bathroom to find her mother.

& # 39; She said, "I think I have an allergic reaction to the toothpaste," and her lips were already blue, "Altamirano said.

Suddenly, Denise & # 39; s mother realized that the sixth grader had an anaphylactic shock.

The immune system releases chemicals that flood the body, blood pressure suddenly drops and the airways narrow, preventing someone from breathing normally.

Symptoms usually occur within a few minutes and include hives, a weak pulse, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and a swollen tongue or throat.

To counteract this, an adrenaline solution – a drug and a hormone – is injected into the thigh muscle, which dilates blood vessels to raise and lower blood pressure and relaxes the muscles of the airways so that the patient can breathe again.

The sister called 911 while Altamirano gave Denise an injection of her EpiPen and her asthma inhaler, but neither helped.

Paramedics arrived quickly and tried to administer it Resuscitate a few minutes before taking her to the hospital.

Denise was in the hospital for two days before she died.

Her parents later discovered that the toothpaste contained Recaldent, a protein derived from cow's milk.

The family hopes that the tragedy will help spread awareness about anaphylaxis and encourage families, school staff, and caregivers to check all items for allergens.

They also want dentists and other doctors to regularly ask patients if they have allergies.

Denise (pictured in the lower right corner with her family) was in the hospital for two days before she died on April 6. Her mother now warns other parents about the importance of reading labels

Denise (pictured in the lower right corner with her family) was in the hospital for two days before she died on April 6. Her mother now warns other parents about the importance of reading labels

Denise (pictured in the lower right corner with her family) was in the hospital for two days before she died on April 6. Her mother now warns other parents about the importance of reading labels

Her parents discovered that the toothpaste, known as MI Paste One, had Recaldent, which is a protein derived from cow's milk

Her parents discovered that the toothpaste, known as MI Paste One, had Recaldent, which is a protein derived from cow's milk

Her parents discovered that the toothpaste, known as MI Paste One, had Recaldent, which is a protein derived from cow's milk

The family hopes that the tragedy will help spread awareness about anaphylaxis and encourage families, school staff, and caregivers to check all items for allergens.

& # 39; Read everything. "Don't be comfortable just because you've been going on for a few years," Altamirano said.

This is the life of your child and God forbid that you have to go through what I am going through. & # 39;

Remembrance services are planned for April 26 and 27, in which mourners are asked to wear clothing with bright colors to enhance the & # 39; bright personality & # 39; from Denise.

The family has started setting up a GoFundMe page to cover funeral expenses.

So far more than $ 17,000 has been raised from a first goal of $ 10,000.