‘Get Out of Jail Free’ Monopoly Card Used By Ronnie Biggs After Great Train Robbery Goes On Sale


Bruce Reynolds

Gang leader and mastermind Reynolds was nicknamed “Napoleon” and after the Great Train Robbery, he fled to Mexico on a fake passport and was accompanied by his wife, Angela, and son, Nick.

Mastermind Bruce Reynolds

They later moved to Canada, but the money from the robbery ran out and he returned to England.

Five years after the robbery, in 1968, a heartbroken Reynolds was captured in Torquay and sentenced to 25 years in prison.

He was released on parole in 1978 and moved, alone and without money, to a small flat on London’s Edgware Road.

In the 1980s, he was jailed for three years for dealing amphetamines.

After his second release, Reynolds worked briefly as a consultant for a film about the heist, Buster, and published the Autobiography of a Thief in 1995. His son Nick said his father died in his sleep in the early hours of February 28. 2013.

Ronnie Biggs

Ronald Arthur ‘Ronnie’ Biggs played a minor role in the robbery, but his life as a fugitive after his escape from prison brought him fame.

He was sentenced to 30 years in prison in 1964, but he escaped after 15 months by fleeing over the walls of London’s Wandsworth Prison in April 1965.

After undergoing plastic surgery, he lived as a fugitive for 36 years in Australia and then in Brazil, where he fathered a son, Michael.

His health deteriorated in 2001 and he voluntarily returned to the UK where he was sent back to prison.

He was finally released in 2009 on “compassionate grounds” by then Attorney General Jack Straw, who said he was not expected to recover. He died in 2013.

Ronald Arthur 'Ronnie' Biggs played a minor role in the robbery, but his life as a fugitive after his jailbreak brought him fame

Ronald Arthur ‘Ronnie’ Biggs played a minor role in the robbery, but his life as a fugitive after his jailbreak brought him fame

Ronald ‘Buster’ Edwards

An ex-boxer, club owner and petty crook who fled to Mexico after the robbery, but surrendered in 1966.

Edwards is widely regarded as the man who wielded the cosh that hit machinist Jack Mills in the head.

Mills’ family says he never recovered and that he died seven years later.

Edwards spent nine years in prison and then became a well-known figure selling flowers outside London’s Waterloo station.

He was the subject of the 1988 film Buster, in which he was played by Phil Collins. Edwards was found hanged in a garage in 1994 at the age of 62. Two wreaths in the shape of trains accompanied his funeral procession.

Charlie Wilson

Wilson was the “treasurer” of the gang that gave each of the robbers their share of the loot. He was quickly imprisoned and at his trial at Aylesbury Crown Court in 1964 he was nicknamed ‘the silent man’ for refusing to say anything.

He was jailed for 30 years, but escaped after just four months.

He was recaptured in Canada after four years on the run and served 10 more years in prison.

He was the last train robber to get out of prison in 1978.

Wilson moved to Marbella, Spain, where he was shot and killed by a hit man on a bicycle in 1990.

Roy James

Police confiscate bags of cash after robbery

As a silversmith and race car driver, James dreamed of investing his share of the loot in new automotive technology.

He was nicknamed ‘Weasel’ and was the main flight driver.

James left a telltale fingerprint on the gang’s farm after the robbery and was caught following a rooftop chase in London.

He spent 30 years in prison, served 12 years and later sold silver from a market stall before moving to Spain.

James was sentenced again to six years in prison in 1993 after shooting his wife’s father and beating her with a gun.

He died at the age of 62, shortly after he got out of prison.

Brian Field

A rogue lawyer the gang used for transportation when they bought the ranch hideout used after the robbery.

Field was arrested and sentenced to 25 years, which was later reduced to five.

He died in a car accident in 1979.

Bill Boal

An engineer arrested along with Roger Cordrey in possession of £141,000. Reynolds said he had never heard of Boal. He claimed that Boal was not involved in the robbery and was “an innocent man.”

Boal was charged with receiving stolen goods and given a 24 year prison sentence, which was reduced to 14 on appeal.

He died of cancer in prison in 1970.

Tommy Wisbey

A bookmaker and self-proclaimed “tough” whose job in the robbery was to scare the train crew.

Wisbey was sentenced to 30 years and was released in 1976.

He was sentenced to another 10 years in prison for cocaine trafficking in 1989 and later ran a flower stall.

Tommy died in 2017 at the age of 86 after suffering a stroke at his London care home.

Bobby Welch

A nightclub owner who was sentenced to 30 years in prison and released in 1976.

He was later left crippled after surgery on his leg went awry.

After prison, he became a car dealer and gambler in London. He attended Bruce Reynolds’ funeral earlier this year.

He is the last remaining member of the gang.

Gordon Goody

He was sentenced to 12 years in prison for 30 years and was released in 1975. It is believed that he was the mastermind behind the infamous train robbery.

In 1975 he moved to Spain to run a beach bar called Kon Tiki in Mojácar, Almeria. He died in 2016 at the age of 86 after suffering a heart attack.

This photo, taken on 8 August 1963 at Cheddington station, shows the Glasgow-London Royal Mail train after it was robbed

James Hussey

A decorator known as “Big Jim” was sentenced to 30 years and released in 1975.

Hussey later worked at a market stall and then opened a Soho restaurant.

He was convicted of assault in 1981 and in 1989 he was sentenced to seven years in prison for a drug smuggling conspiracy with fellow train robber Wisbey.

He died in November 2012, aged 79, of cancer.

Roger Cordrey

Cordrey was part of the South Coast Raiders gang and was a florist.

He was arrested in Bournemouth after having the misfortune to rent a lock-up from a police officer’s widow.

He was sentenced to 20 years in prison, which was reduced to 14 on appeal.

When he was released in 1971, he returned to the flower business and moved to the West Country. He has since passed away.

Jimmy White

A former paratrooper described as “quartermaster” for the robbery.

White was on the run for three years before being caught in Kent and sentenced to 18 years.

He was released in 1975 and went to live in Sussex. He has since passed away.

Leonard Field

Field, a former merchant seaman, was sentenced to 25 years, which was later reduced to five.

He was released from prison in 1967 and went to live in North London. Presumably dead.

John Wheater

A lawyer who was sentenced to three years for conspiracy to distort the course of justice. He was released in 1966 and went to live in Surrey. Presumably dead.