Tycoon trying to save George Calombaris’ restaurant empire from a collapse reveals that he and the TV chef are NOT getting a cent from the sale of the company
- Radek Sali and George Calombaris will not get anything from the bankruptcy of companies
- Twelve locations in Melbourne closed this week when the company went into administration
- A staff member said they had been told ‘nothing’ prior to the public position
- Administrators now hope to find potential buyers for affected restaurants
The business magnate who tried to rescue George Calombaris’ troubled restaurant empire from the collapse said he and the famous chef don’t expect money from placing the company in voluntary administration.
Twelve locations in Melbourne closed their doors this week after the famous chef’s company was placed in voluntary administration on Monday, leaving about 400 employees in the dark.
The rich thrush Radek Sali said that he and the directors of Made Establishment Group did everything to prevent it from going into administration.
The decision came after it came forward last year. Employees of Made Establishment received $ 7.8 million in wages and supervision in 2017.
Rich listener Radek Sali (photo) said that he and the directors of Made Establishment Group did everything to prevent it from going into administration.
The business magnate who tried to rescue George Calombaris’ troubled restaurant empire from the collapse said he and the famous chef don’t expect money from placing the company in voluntary administration. Calombaris pictured with wife Natalie Tricarico in 2017
The Melbourne-based company received a $ 200,000 fine from the Fair Work Ombudsman in July for underpayments.
Mr Sali, the former boss of the Australian vitamin marker Swisse Wellness, has emphasized that the Fair Work investigation into the underpayment found no indication that it was intentional.
It was discovered after Mr. Sali, the chairman of investment company Light Warrior, took over the company.
But the locations could not recover from the incident, he said.
“The reality is the hit that hit each of the companies after Fair Work transferred the enforceable company, two years after we had paid back staff, was irreversible,” he said in a statement on Friday.
Sali does not expect to receive anything by placing the company in administration. KordaMentha was appointed as administrator on Monday.
“We expect to receive zero cents in the dollar from the administration process,” he said.
The past few weeks have been “some of the saddest and most challenging we have experienced in our time in doing business,” said Mr. Sali.
“We’ve done everything we can to try and avoid this result,” he said.
“I’m really sorry we weren’t successful.”
George Calombaris arrives at the Downing Center court in Sydney in 2017
The closed restaurant Hellenic Republic was shown Tuesday in Brunswick
All employees have been paid to date, receive their rights and, where possible, are quickly deployed in other jobs, he said.
He has also called on people to “show empathy and respect.”
‘Since the consideration of an administration process, the care and welfare of our team have been given the first priority; we now ask the Australian media and the general public the same thing, “he said.
The only part of Made Establishment that is excluded from administration is a chain of four Yo-Chi outlets.
KordaMentha will spend about a month preparing a report on Made Establishment, but creditors will meet for the first time next Thursday.
Dozens of people have already expressed an interest in buying the companies, with the design of the restaurants, their branding if desired, and the possibility to use their locations for sale.
The managers are getting closer to concluding deals with a few interested parties.
Data from the Australian Securities and Investments Commission show that Calombaris was a director of Made until May 2018.
The five current shareholders are Made Establishment Pty Ltd and George C Pty Ltd.
Timeline of the misery of Calombaris
MAY 15, 2014 – The Ministry of Health is investigating after diners who ate in the Hellenic Republic in Kew became ill. It was later confirmed that the norovirus affected around 100 people
APRIL, 2017 – It was announced that approximately $ 2.6 million in arrears was paid to 162 employees employed by Made Establishment due to pay discrepancies that went back to 2011.
10 MAY 2017 – Calombaris is accused of mistreatment over a 19-year-old fight in a grand A-League final between Sydney FC and Melbourne Victory in Sydney a few days earlier
MAY 16, 2017 – Melbourne man David Peter Schreuder sues the restaurant Hellenic Republic and Made Establishment for the outbreak of norovirus encephalitis
AUGUST 17, 2017 – The chief pleads guilty of the attack on the A-League incident
SEPTEMBER 8, 2017 – He delivers his Melbourne Victory No. 1-ticket because of the attack
20 OCTOBER 2017 – Calombaris is fined $ 1000 for the A-League attack
FEBRUARY 1, 2018 – His attack conviction is overturned on appeal after a district law judge agreed with Calombaris’ lawyer that he had suffered significant financial and personal loss and probably would not insult again
JULY 18, 2019 – The Fair Work Ombudsman fined the MasterChef Australia judge and his Made Establishment company $ 200,000 for underpaying staff in his restaurants with nearly $ 8 million
JULY 22, 2019 – The West Australian government suspends its tourism campaign with Calombaris on the Fair Work Obudsman fine
JULY 23, 2019 – Calombaris and fellow judges Matt Preston and Gary Mehigan leave MasterChef after contract negotiations fail
FEBRUARY 10, 2020 – Made falls into voluntary administration