Governor Ricardo Rosselló of Puerto Rico denied reports that he resigned on Wednesday, two weeks after the publication of inflammatory chat messages that discredited gays and mocked islanders.
& # 39; Governor Ricardo Rosselló Nevares has not resigned and will continue in Puerto Rico & # 39 ;, said Anthony Maceira, the public affairs secretary, in a press release.
& # 39; As he said yesterday, he is in a process of reflection and listening to the people. … Due to the environment of expectation, there are currently incorrect rumors being spread, even some in the media. & # 39;
Governor Ricardo Rosselló denied that he had resigned on Wednesday, but was told that a removal procedure had started
Residents in Puerto Rico protested for 12 consecutive days while pursuing the resignation of the US island territory.
Puerto Rican singer Ricky Martin has a Puerto Rico flag while participating in a protest on July 19. He was the target of anti-gay remarks in a private chat between the governor of Puerto Rico and his assistants
According to El Nuevo Día, Rosselló with Carlos Méndez, the president of the House of Representatives in Puerto Rico, earlier in the morning and was informed that a trial has started.
& # 39; It happened personally, looking into his eyes, I clearly spoke to him & # 39 ;, said Méndez.
At least 889 pages of the chat on the Telegram encrypted app were unveiled on July 13 by the Center for Investigative Journalism. Méndez then followed the example by instructing a panel of three lawyers to view the private messages.
Francisco Reyes Caparrós, Luis Enrique Rodríguez and José Enrique Colón Santana discovered five offenses – four of which were considered serious – that were committed by the outrageous text message exchanges.
Three of them fall under the penal code and another two under the ethical legislation of the government.
Méndez said that the accusation process will be stopped if Rosselló subtracts.
Justice Minister Wanda Vázquez is said to stand in line as an interim leader of the Caribbean island while the island entered the territory of the United States for its twelfth consecutive day of demonstrations.
A demonstrator waving a flag on Wednesday on a police barricade in a street near the governor's mansion of Puerto Rico
Protesters stand for riot control units during collisions in San Juan, Puerto Rico
Thousands of people filled the largest highway in Puerto Rico on Monday to try and drive the governor out. Rossello has said that he will not be re-eligible, but that he will not resign
However, protesters are expected to seriously reject her naming at the top post because of her strong loyalty to Rosselló.
US President Donald Trump, who was arguing with Rosselló in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria in 2017, shot the governor in the White House on Monday.
& # 39; He is a terrible governor, & # 39; said Trump. & # 39; You have totally rude incompetent leadership at the top of Puerto Rico. & # 39;
Rosselló and his assistants – 11 men in total – chose profane language to describe female politicians, including San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz, and openly gay Puerto Ricans such as Ricky Martin.
Police officers are standing behind a barricade covered with roses in old San Juan
Law enforcement officers stand at the entrance to the governor's mansion in Puerto Rico
Rosselló submitted to the Ministry of Justice the mobile phone that he used to send burning chat messages that fooled gays and mock islanders
The reckless comments were directed against voters, including the victims of Hurricane Maria in 2017.
The island with 3.2 million people has been hit by several crises in recent years, including a petition for bankruptcy.
More than half a million people went to the streets of San Juan on Monday, by far the largest number of demonstrators who registered for one of the demonstrations.
On Tuesday hundreds of demonstrators reached La Fortaleza, the governor's mansion, to air their grievances.
El Barrio Socialbar, in San Juan, offers its customers free beer for an hour on the day that Rosselló subtracts.
Ricardo Llerandi, the chief of staff of the governor, left his position Tuesday when prosecutors investigated the scandal, which happened about the same time when federal investigators accused former Education Minister Julia Keleher and former Puerto Rico health insurance director Ángela Ávila-Marrerowith of conspiracy.
At the end of Monday evening, the Ministry of Justice in San Juan issued search commands for all devices used to send the shameful messages.
A spokesperson for the DoJ told DailyMail that Rosselló had turned in his cell phone last week.
Former legal adviser Alfonso Orona; Chief of staff Ricardo Llerandi and Ramón Rosario, a former secretary of public affairs, all turned on their phones last week.
The DoJ spokesperson could not confirm whether the other eight telephones were being restored.
. [TagsToTranslate] Dailymail