Gas stations start running out of fuel after cyber attack on Colonial Pipeline as 12 other companies are revealed to be targeted by ongoing hack
- The colonial pipeline between Texas and New Jersey was hacked on Thursday
- The 5,500-mile pipeline carries nearly half of the east coast’s fuel supply
- Friday night, the pipeline was shut down in response to the attack
- On Monday, the company said they had begun restoring the service
- They hope to restore service by the end of the week
- On Monday evening, gas stations in Atlanta reported shortages
- The pipeline also serves Atlanta Airport – the world’s busiest by passengers
- Criminal group DarkSide, believed to be based in Russia, is believed to be guilty
- Monday afternoon, DarkSide apologized for ‘social consequences’
- “We are apolitical, we do not participate in geopolitics,” the hackers wrote
Gas stations in Atlanta are closing their pumps due to a fuel shortage caused by the Colonial Pipeline hack.
The 5,500-mile pipeline was shut down by the company on Friday evening when the ransomware attack launched. On Monday, the service was gradually restored.
The pipeline supplies 45 percent of all of the East Coast’s fuel needs, including Atlanta Airport, the world’s busiest, by passenger traffic.
On Monday evening, drivers started reporting shortages at gas stations.
A spokesperson for Race Trac, which operates gas stations in the area, confirmed the shortage WSBTV-2.
AAA predicts gas prices in the Georgia region could rise by three to seven cents a gallon this week, and said there could also be “ limited fuel availability ” in some places.
Gas stations in Atlanta faced shortages on Monday as a result of the hack
Motorists had been told to expect a price hike at the pump if shortages start to bite
The attack on Colonial Pipeline took place on Friday and affected some information technology systems. Operations were halted until Monday, when part of the service resumed
“This shutdown will affect both gas supply and price, but the impact will vary by region,” said Montrae Waiters, AAA spokeswoman – The Auto Club Group.
Areas like Mississippi, Tennessee and the east coast from Georgia to Delaware will likely experience limited fuel availability and price increases as early as this week.
The pipeline, the largest in the United States, is responsible for the daily transportation of more than 100 million gallons of fuel – 2.5 million barrels – through pipelines between Texas and New Jersey.
The Colonial Pipeline runs from Texas to New Jersey and carries 100 million gallons of fuel every day
The hack was allegedly carried out by DarkSide, a Russian-based hacking group.
On Monday, the group posted an apology on the dark web, Vice reported, saying they didn’t want “ social consequences, ” nor looked for political influence.
“We are apolitical, do not participate in geopolitics, do not have to commit to a defined government and look for other motives,” they wrote.
‘Our goal is to make money and not create problems for society.
“Starting today, we will be introducing moderation and checking every company that our partners want to encrypt to avoid social impact in the future.”