Gas leak at Spanish nuclear power plant leaves one dead and three people in hospital

Gas leak at Spanish nuclear power plant leaves one dead and three people in hospital

  • The carbon dioxide leak occurred at the Asco nuclear power plant in Catalonia
  • A malfunction in the factory’s fire prevention system caused the gas leak, firefighters said
  • People taken to hospital suffered minor injuries from inhalation of carbon dioxide
  • The regional fire service said the incident was not related to radioactive material



<!–

<!–

<!–<!–

<!–

<!–

<!–

A gas leak at a Spanish nuclear power plant has left one dead and three people in hospital, local emergency services said on Wednesday.

The carbon dioxide leak occurred at the Asco nuclear power plant in the Spanish region of Catalonia. The plant is found about 130 kilometers west of Barcelona.

A malfunction in the factory’s fire prevention system caused the gas leak, which was not associated with radioactive material, the regional fire service posted on Twitter.

Pictured: The Asco nuclear power plant in Spain’s region of Catalonia, where there was a gas leak Wednesday night that killed one person and injured three others

According to the Spanish Elperiodico newspaper, the victim of the incident was a 42-year-old man from the nearby town of Mora d’Ebre. He was reportedly one of the firefighters working permanently at the nuclear power plant.

The three people taken to Mora d’Ebre hospital suffered minor injuries from inhalation of carbon dioxide, emergency services said.

The local fire brigade writes on Twitter that the fire brigade was informed of a warning at the factory at 6:55 pm on Wednesday evening.

Shortly afterwards, the fire service said it was preparing to leave the site after checking the exhaust fans with factory personnel and verifying that the systems were working properly.

‘Together with the staff of the Ascó nuclear power plant, [Catalan firefighters] checked the hoods and checked the technical performance of the site, which are correct,” the fire brigade tweeted Wednesday evening.

Sources of the Bombers de la Generalitat said: Europe Press that the incident was related to maintenance work.

‘The moment the ignition takes place, the CO2 starts to leave and displace the oxygen, and as soon as there is no more oxygen, the combustion stops. It is the best way to extinguish fires in places where water cannot be used,” the sources said.

Advertisement

.